Tuesday, January 14, 2014

JANUARY 14, 2014


Because I'm getting an infusion of Erbitux weekly, I'm meeting with someone from my care team (either my PA or my doc) every week.  It's nice to keep in such close contact with them, so they know what I'm feeling/doing, and so that I know what they are thinking.  We also check my blood levels each week, things like a CBC (a complete blood check) or a CMP (complete metabolic panel, I think), to make sure that my blood levels are stable.

Not surprisingly, they aren't.  Given what I've been through and the fact that I'm still (honestly) in recovery from my 3-week vacation in the hospital, this is not unexpected.  Matter of fact, this is part of the reason they are keeping such a close eye on me.

Last week, I had some blood drawn, and got the results on Friday (because, quite frankly, I forgot to look at them).  I had the labs taken on Thursday and hung around CTCA, as we all anticipated that I would need to get an injection of Neulasta, which is a quick-acting drug that boosts your bone marrow into overdrive, making more red and white blood cells.  As my numbers weren't dangerous, I was able to go home and just come back the next day (which would have been last Friday) to talk about things and to have my next chemo.

As expected, my platelets, reds, whites, and absolute neutrophils are all on the low side.  (If you're feeling particularly scholarly and want to learn more about those things, there is a
 fairly good article here which explains what normal is for those counts, and why they are all important.)  The good news is that the numbers aren't low enough to freak out, but they are going down and it's worth keeping a very close eye on.  Because of my platelet count (currently at 60), the doctor has decided to take me off of the Xeloda (the oral chemo) for a few weeks.  One of the known side effects of this chemo is that it will lower your platelets and other counts, and we don't need my numbers plummeting to 2 again.  I'm staying on the Erbitux weekly for now, at least until I see the team back again on January 24th.

On Saturday, he also sent me in for a Neulasta shot, which again helps boost the bone marrow production of white blood cells.  I've had Neupogen before, which causes an immediate boost in the marrow production.  I don't like that one because the side effect is some pretty severe bone pain.  The Neulasta does the same thing but on a slightly longer time line (I guess) so the pain isn't quite so bad.  I've started noticing some achiness in my joints, which makes me think (now that I'm putting two and two together) that the shot is starting to work.  So - yeah!

I'll go back in for labs on Thursday of this week, with another dose of Erbitux on Friday.  I feel like I'm handling it pretty well - I usually fall asleep during the infusion because of the Benadryl they give me, but once I come out of that, I feel fine.  Matter of fact, I was able to help Levi with some errands this past Friday and felt good enough to join the family for dinner.  :)

Speaking of Erbitux, I've noticed my rash seems to be fairly well under control.  Between the antibiotic they have me on (Doxycycline twice a day....I can't remember the exact dosage), a hydrocortisone cream for my face that I use morning and night, calendula cream for my face and dry skin, and other stuff, I feel like I'm managing it pretty well.  I still don't like the rash, but it's a lot easier to handle when you have some tools to help with it.

Speaking of that - ladies, I have found a great make-up regimen to help me feel pretty during the day.  I went to my local MAC make-up store and worked with a wonderful lady there who helped me before.  I explained the situation, and we took a look at some new "tools".  Basically, I'm using all of my moisturizers (4 in all), then a tinted make-up primer, concealer as a foundation, and a foundation powder.  I'll tell you what - it works like a charm.  So, if you're going through Erbitux and need a little pick-me-up....ladies, I highly recommend this.   :)

I think the only other rash-related thing I can complain about is my scalp - there is definitely rash there, and it itches.  Drives me up a wall sometimes.  I'm currently trying a tea tree oil shampoo and conditioner, but I don't think it's doing as much as I'd like.  If you've got any suggestions, I'm listening.

What else?  I'm still adjusting to this new body.  I started physical therapy this week, and I'm excited about it.  I think it's going to help.  They are giving me some pretty good tips on stretching, etc.  I go back again tomorrow - we'll see how things work out.  I have some pretty lofty goals (running again, get back to work....), so we definitely have our work cut out for us.

I think that's about it.  I have a bunch of work to do.  I'm applying for the Colondar - again.  Hoping my health remains good so I can take part.  We'll see!

More later.  I see the docs again this Friday - I'll try to update you over the weekend.  Meantime....peace out, my peeps!  LOL!

Comments:


Overall, I think this sounds very good!

Does your scalp itch enough to make you want to pull your hair out? I wonder if a leave in moisturizer would help?
January 15, 2014 at 12:08 PM

No comments:

Post a Comment