Thursday, October 3, 2013

OCTOBER 3, 2013


Well, today I am scheduled to have blood drawn to check many levels, including my CEA.  I am so flipping nervous.  I can only hope that this damn number went down.  But, as I've said before, I'm nervous because I'm not feeling any of the traditional chemotherapy side effects, like nausea.  I'm fatigued, though, which seems to be a pretty common complaint with this chemo, so I'll take that as a good-ish sign.

My lab draw is at 11:50 this morning, so I should have the updated CEA levels by 2pm or so.

I hate days like today, where I'm just waiting for an arbitrary number....a number that will fundamentally effect my life, will determine if I continue on this road or have to forge a new path.  It seems so silly to have so much riding on a few cells in my lab draw, but that's the way this game is played.

I don't think there's anything worse than waiting on a result like this. Well, there is - let's be honest.  But, for the short time that I'm waiting, my stomach is all upset, my head isn't where it needs to be, and I'm an emotional wreck.

I'm trying to keep myself calmed down by reminding myself that, so far, my cancer has responded fairly well to chemotherapy treatments, and there's no reason to think this would be any different.  But, there's this little voice inside my head, reminding me that we are in uncharted territory (well, sort of.....there are studies saying this works, but not many), and that there's a 50/50 chance that this will work.

*sigh*  I just need to take a few deep breaths, calm down, and not panic.  I'm going to go about today doing what I know needs to get done, and hope for the best.

More as soon as I know something....

Comments:

OMG, Michelle! I feel this way every time I go in for blood work! I am praying you get good results today!
October 3, 2013 at 10:19 AM
Blogger Laura Loe said...
I am here, 11:53am being anxious with you...I wish I was at the center I would sit with you until you got your results. I will project myself the 20+ miles to be by your side... I will be watching the clock waiting for you GOOD news. Just said a little prayer for you and your family...This medicine has to be working.
October 4, 2013 at 12:02 PM
Blogger Joan B said...
just letting you know that I am thinking of you and wishing you well
October 7, 2013 at 7:37 PM
Blogger Juanignacio Porras said...

Hi,
I too am waiting the CEA result
It is so much terrible. I have a panic but I have to know this number damn
You do not know what to do while you wait. This is like this
Good luck to both
Juan Ignacio Porras
October 9, 2013 at 2:48 AM

No comments:

Post a Comment