Tuesday, September 18, 2012

SEPTEMBER 18, 2012



Well, today should be interesting.  I have an interview with a local news station (Channel 3, for local peeps) at CTCA about using alternative therapies (specifically, in this interview, acupuncture) to work with traditional cancer treatment (chemo, radiation, surgery) and to help mitigate the side effects, improve your quality of life, etc.  I'm pretty excited, and suddenly extremely nervous about it.  I haven't done this in a while, and never while I was bald and after I gained weight.  But, it's something I feel extremely strong about, and I'm proud that CTCA considers me a good representation of their patients.  I hope I can do the facility and the other patients justice...

On that note, I've had several people ask me about what CTCA has to offer, and what I'm using, in addition to the traditional chemotherapy.  Gosh - there is just so much available to patients and caregivers there that I know I won't be able to adequately talk about it.  In all honesty, your best bet is to take a tour.  If you have a facility near you, please consider going in and asking for a tour.  I guarantee you, you won't regret it.

So, what makes CTCA such an amazing place for me?  Well, first, it's the atmosphere.  From the minute you drive up to the facility, there's a sense of something more; it's not just a hospital.  When I drive up, I take my car to the front, and Eric parks it for me.  This is a perk for patients and caregivers, and they will not allow you to pay for this, or to tip the valets.  I know this seems lazy, but when you are tired, or sensitive to the sun (and live in Arizona), this is an awesome feature.

Walking in, there's always someone there to greet you.  They ask how you are, and are genuinely concerned.  They help get you to where you need to be, if you need it.  Walking down the hall, you'll pass the beautiful, relaxing fish tanks that my kids adore.  You might pass one of the many service dogs, who are there to boost patients' spirits.  I can tell you, seeing those dogs, hugging them, loving up on them, seeing their sheer joy at interacting with the patients - yeah, that definitely boosts your spirits.

Down the hall, you'll inevitably run into someone who says hi, whether it's a stakeholder (someone who works at CTCA), another patient, one of your docs or nurses, or a volunteer.  You will probably get sidetracked and, if you aren't careful, you'll be late to your appointment.  Not that I've had this happen.

Sometimes, I'll stop in at the Starbucks for a boost of caffeine, or a freshly-made fruit or veggie smoothie.  These are made with mostly local produce (they are currently using about 70% local produce), and the produce is all organic.  If you want a fruity, sweet smoothy, Doe and team will hook you up.  Want something to settle your tummy?  They have that too.  Need protein?  Ok.  You name it, they have it.

Hungry?  I often eat at CTCA, for a few reasons.  A, it's delicious.  Their Executive Chef team creates delicious, healthy meals that are easy on the budget (I can feed the kids and I a full lunch for under $5.  Total.)   They have everything from gourmet entrees (think salmon, fish, chicken, steak, etc.), a salad bar, a grill (burgers, sandwiches, etc.), snacks, desserts....just about anything you want.  And, it's not typical hospital food.  It's delicious.  Not pre-packaged, not pre-frozen ickiness.  Fresh, delicious, inexpensive.

Going into the outpatient clinic, the ladies at the front desk will give you a warm smile, a hug, and help you with whatever you need, even if it's just offering an ear.  You'll likely run into one of the patient navigators there; Jessica is mine, and I adore her.  She helps me with questions I have, getting answers I need, etc.  She's there to do the dirty work I shouldn't have to do while I'm fighting cancer.  Such a relief....

So, onto the things you're all much more interested in, I'm sure.  There is, of course, the salon on-site.  They do hair (haircuts and shaving, if needed....), wig fittings, manicures, pedicures, prosthetic fittings, etc.  These ladies are so sweet and kind.  I love going in there.  One of the nicest things is that, if you are an in-patient or in treatment (say in infusion), the ladies will come to you for your salon treatment.  Yes, they bring the pedicure to you while you're in chemo.  Freaking awesome.

The rehab area is, honestly, where I spend a lot of my time.  The facility has physical therapists and occupational therapists on-site to help patients with a variety of things that I'm sure I can't even fathom at this point.  Lymphadema, muscle strength, flexibility, mitigating pain, working with laser therapy to help with dry mouth, muscle pain, etc.  It's amazing what they can help with.  I worked with Jennifer in the past doing myofascial release, which helped my back pain enormously.

I am currently using the services of three or four of the other alternative therapies on a monthly basis.  I work with Sue, who is the CTCA speech therapist.  She helps folks with swallowing issues (due to radiation, chemo or surgery side effects, etc.), speech in general, and she and I work to help me with my chemo brain issues.  
Chemo brain is a very real issue that can happen as a result of chemotherapy, and is thought to be a result of how the chemotherapy effects the brain and it's function.  Chemo brain can last a few years, or for forever.  *sigh*  Anyways, Sue helps me with ways to organize my thoughts, exercises to help my brain with chronological thinking, planning and organizing, and memory (short- and long-term).  In all honesty, this has helped me so much that I can't even begin to put words to it.  I know that, if I wasn't working with Sue, I wouldn't have been able to go back to work in any capacity.  I wouldn't be doing everything that I'm currently doing on off-chemo weeks, and I know that I wouldn't be mentally as alert and upbeat as I am.  If you are dealing with chemo brain, please talk with your medical team about working with someone to help with this.  It's a very real side effect, and one that doesn't have to be just accepted without treatment.

I also use the CTCA chiropractor.  I adore Dr. McDonald.  I've had some folks ask me what my spine has to do with my cancer and the treatment.  If you think about it, your cancer isn't just affecting the cells that have turned; it's affecting your entire body.  The chemo and radiation aren't isolated to your cancer; it's affecting your entire body.  In my opinion, when your in treatment for something like cancer, you can't look at it as an isolated situation.  You need to take care of your entire body.  If your body has stress or injury or pain in another area, it's not able to concentrate it's energies on fighting the cancer and healing the body after treatment.  In addition to that, Dr. McDonald has things he does to help with nausea, fatigue, etc.  The body is such an intricate machine, and it's all so intertwined, that it's hard (for me) to not consider taking care of it in it's entirety.

I depend on Pat's massages.  Prior to working with her, I thought (like most people, I believe) massage was used solely for relaxing me when I was stressed out, or for getting the knots in my back out.  Holy cow - it's so much more than that.  Pat and the entire rehab team work together to talk about what I'm dealing with, issues they are seeing, etc., and then work to get my body back in order and my energy centered and focused.  Pat (who I also adore) uses her 
tuning forks on various marma points on the body to help relax muscles, relax the skin, and has (in a shock to both of us) been able to use this process to calm my skin rash from the Erbitux.  We know it's working, as we see immediate results (less redness and swelling, and less breakouts later).  We also know it's working because I missed a weekly session with her, and my face broke out something awful.

And, Dorion, who is the doctor that does acupuncture, has been essential to helping me get my nausea under control.  He has also helped with my neuropathy, which kicked back up when I started Folfiri in March.  Apparently, the 5-FU was causing me some issues, and he was able to use acupuncture to help me retain and increase sensation and feeling in my hands and feet.  I'm excited to use this more, and to learn more about how these therapies work together in the body.

In all honesty, when I started at CTCA, I didn't expect to use any of the "alternative therapies" to help with the traditional chemo.  I've had to force myself to have an open mind, and to try as much as I can.  If they have an entire wing of their facility dedicated to these things, they work.  One of the things with CTCA is that they don't promote anything in their facility that they don't have scientific proof to back up.  And, they will not ask you to consider something that they don't honestly believe will help you.  It took me a while to open my mind enough to really allow my body to utilize these things, but now that I have?  I'm so so so glad I did.

Instead of worrying about just my cancer and getting rid of it, I'm using what I have at my disposal to help my body fight and heal.  I'm looking at this as a life-long battle, and if that's the case, I need to give my body the tools it needs to fight this damn cancer off.  If I use some therapies that aren't considered mainstream, I'm going to speak about it.  CTCA has a higher survival rate than the national average, and there's a reason.  I don't know what that reason (or reasons) is/are, but I'm going to try everything I can to be one of their many, many success stories.

No comments:

Post a Comment