Friday, August 27, 2010

AUGUST 27, 2010



...an angel went home.  It's hard to believe that it has been a year since Kim passed away.  I just don't know how it's been this long - it seems like yesterday.  And yet, so much has happened since then.  Time plays horrible tricks on the mind.

Tonight, some folks will be at the cemetary to have a kind of memorial service over Kim's gravestone.  After that, we are heading back to Nan's house (Kim's mom) for a Mexican potluck and some reminiscing.  It should be nice - Julia's going to join me.  Levi's going to keep Kevin with him - that will help, a lot.  Levi still doesn't feel comfortable going to Kim-related events (and, I totally understand), so this will be good for Julia and me.  I'm nervous about how my little girl is going to take this, but I think we need to do it together.

At 2:21pm local time today, there are a large group of people that will be holding a moment of silence for Kim - remembering the moment that Kim was finally free from the hurt, the pain, the suffering, and the cancer.

I just spent some time looking at the facebook postings.  It's so hard, knowing we are all hurting today.  Yet, it's a beautiful thing.   To have died having so much love surround you - can a person want for anything more?

So many people surrounded Kim in her life and in her death - friends and family, people who only knew her online, people who donated to fundraisers and advocacy events.  She was the type of person that people seem drawn to - the kind of person you want to be your friend.  It's a gift she had, and one that I'm grateful to have benefitted from.  Her friendship provided me with so many lessons and gifts and blessings that I can't possibly begin to name them all.

Kim was with me last weekend - as I was hoping she would be.  She showed up in the form of a HUGE dragonfly kite at the Austin airport as I was departing the airplane, then in the manner of well over 100 dragonflies as the weekend wore on - it was amazing.  My friend Sharon said she's never seen so many of them in Austin - I was happy about that.  Kim was there with me.  I wouldn't have had it any other way.

So, even though she can't be here in the physical sense that we can touch her and hug her and talk with her and feel her warmth, I know that she's here with us all.  She guides us, laughs with us, celebrates with us, chides us, and mourns with us.  I know she'll be doing a little bit of each tonight.  I certainly will be. It's going to be very difficult - but, we'll make it through, and keep on.

*sigh*  This is so much harder than I thought it would be.  I hate cancer.

No comments:

Post a Comment