Tuesday, March 8, 2011

MARCH 8, 2011


Occasionally, there are things that happen in life that make you step back and think about where you are in life, that makes you look at your priorities and think about what's TRULY important in your life.  Last week, one of those things happened to one of my fabulous friends, Natalie. (Randi - I shamelessly stole your pictures....)  Watching her go through this has made me re-evaluate my own life. 


Natty is someone I met when I was getting to know Kim.  Natty was this gorgeous, kind, friendly person that was wholly dedicated to Kim and her well-being.  She spent so much time with Kim, helping her in ways that only girlfriends can (feeding her, bathing her, shaving her legs, etc.).  Natty took me in as a friend, and while we don't talk as often as I'd like, she's someone I love like a sister.  After Kim passed, Natty helped Kim's widow Deron through the aftermath, and in the subsequent months, Natty and Deron fell in love.  It's been an amazing affirmation of life after cancer and that good things can and do come out of horrible circumstances.

Late last year, I got a text that Natty was pregnant with her first child, and we celebrated this beautiful creation.  I saw her the day after Thanksgiving, and she was absolutely glowing.  I couldn't have been happier for her and her new family.

Natty went in about two weeks ago for her 17 week ultrasound to find out whether she was having a boy or a girl.  Instead, Natty got horrible news, and last week, she gave birth to her angel baby, Natalia Rae. 

Life is very unfair.  No one should have to go through what Deron and Natty are going through.  I worry about them, and though I know they will make it through this, I wish there was something I could do.  It's made me look at my own life and cherish my children.

When I was actively battling cancer, I promised myself that I would never forget to stay grounded, that I would always remember to take the time to spend with my family and friends, and that I would make myself and my loved ones priority.  That's been going by the wayside recently, which I think tends to happen as we move further from a traumatic experience.  I think life gets back at us, and we tend to focus on the small things rather than the overall picture.  This helped me remember that the small things are just that - things that likely I don't need to worry about.  I'm heartbroken that the Miller family has to go through this, but I'm hopeful that this will remind all us to take the time to prioritize our lives, and hug the ones we love.

RIP, Baby Natalia.....you were here for only a short time, but you're impact will be felt forever.  Keep watch over your Mommy and Daddy.....

Comments:

Mrs. Buv said...
I "borrowed" my pics from Natty and Stefany...so you're perfectly fine to borrow them from me. :) xoxo
March 12, 2011 at 2:31 PM
Blogger Jill said...
I'll be keeping the Miller family in my prayers.
March 13, 2011 at 7:06 PM
Blogger Carol Pack Urban said...

I am so sorry to read about the loss of baby Natalia! I experienced early miscarriages and, while they were devastating to me, I'm sure it doesn't quite compare to the loss of a baby you could feel moving around or the loss of a child who has been born. I am glad to read that Devon and Natty met and married. I prayed for the entire family after Kim's passing.
March 30, 2011 at 3:11 PM

No comments:

Post a Comment