Friday, November 5, 2010

NOVEMBER 5, 2010



Non-Cancer Related:
This blog posting has gone viral, and I can see why.  If you haven't seen it (and don't want to click on the link), it's a mom telling how her 5 year-old son dressed up like Daphne from Scooby-Doo for Halloween, and the reactions from some of the parents (not the kids, mind you - the PARENTS) at his preschool.  I love how this mom stands up for her child, and allows him to be himself, regardless of what others might think.  I love that she's taken the stand on this with other parents who want to judge a 5 year-old child based on his Halloween costume, and think that this is a Christian way of doing things (no offense meant to anyone).  While I can't claim to be religious, and won't ever claim to be knowledgeable in anything related to any holy book, I do know that religions preach acceptance and love and peace.  Hmmmm....seems like these moms (A, B, and C in the posting) forgot about that.

I have learned in the course of the past several years (well, probably the past couple of years, if I'm honest with myself) that judging people based on looks, presumptions, and preconceived notions don't make you a good, worthy, or decent person.  It makes you worse than the people you feel righteous enough to judge.  Example: When I was starting chemo, the doctors gave me an RX for a mouthwash that helped with the horrible mouth sores that tend to accompany chemo.  The only place locally that made this stuff is in a section of town that literally has rules on the age you must be to live in these retirement neighborhoods (you can't be under 55 to live here - and, no, I'm not kidding).  When I went to pick up the meds, I was exhausted, still recovering from my colon resection, port implant, and my first round of chemo.  Yes, I parked in the handicapped spot, with my blue tag hung in the right place.  And, boy - did I get an earful from several of the folks at the medical facility.  "Why did YOU park there?"  "You don't look like you need that space..."  And, "I should call the cops on you - you're using a stolen sticker."  Um, go ahead - here's my story.  (Insert angry rant here....) What's yours?!?!?  I didn't rant - I was too tired.  But, upon digesting this experience, I realized that I had been no different before this experience, prejudging others based only on what I could see.  It made the impact of my judgements really hit home, and I now strive to make sure that I don't judge folks using limited information.  I admit, this isn't as easy as I thought it would be, but I consider it a work in progress, and a lesson that I continue to hammer home with my children.

Cancer Related Article:
This article from MSNBC tells about a potential new test that could detect a large percentage of colon cancers (Stages I, II, and III as well as large pre-cancerous tumors/polyps) without use of a colonoscopy.  Imagine the potential lives that can be saved!  Unfortunately, in spite of the overal decrease in the number of colon cancer diagnoses in the past several years, there are still a large number of people dying from this disease, including younger folks who can't/won't get tested via colonoscopy due to stigma, insurance issues, etc.  Think of how much good this test could do if we were able to use a less invasive test to detect potential cancer or pre-cancer.  One of the many complaints I hear from minorities that I speak with about prevention is that, due to cultural reasons, they won't get their colonoscopies and won't talk about issues with their doctors, often until it's too late.  Could this change that mindset?  I might be overly optimistic, but I'm hopeful.

I'm so glad to see colon and rectal cancer getting so much press lately.  Perhaps this is the start of a movement to get the public to see colon cancer as a socially acceptable disease to talk about - so often, people back off when you refer to colon cancer.  I've seen a shift in the past couple of years - I'm hopeful that this will continue.  There is so much good coming down the line that I can't wait to share with you once I have official information - you are all going to be SO EXCITED about what's coming in the next 12 months.  There are amazing partnerships and the like on the way that can and will have a MAJOR impact on how colon cancer is viewed and treated.  I am prouder than proud to be involved with the folks at the forefront of these movements, and am so glad to be able to give what I can to help out.  It's not much, but if we can help a few people, then it makes it all worth it.

And, with that, I'm off.  Have a wonderful Friday, all!

No comments:

Post a Comment