Tuesday, October 19, 2010

OCTOBER 19, 2010


As you know, I'm training to run in the upcoming Undy 5000 on October 30th.  As the fat girl in high school, this is a feat I never imagined I'd be able to accomplish.  Never, in my wildest dreams, would I have thought that I'd be training to do ANYTHING athletic at the age of 34.  It's been a heady experience, one filled with pain, increased flexibility, agony, joy, ups, downs, and plenty of starts and stops.  I've learned a lot about myself and about how my body works, functions, and what it's capable of.

And, just as the proverbial finish line was within sight, I came down with bronchitis.  Yup - diagnosed yesterday.  Blech.  So, until I'm feeling better, there will be no more running for me.  I'm bummed, especially because I haven't run since last Tuesday (I've been feeling pretty icky for a while).

It sounds like I should be able to start running again by the weekend, which will help me mentally and physically.  I will be able to run (in my own way) the 5k, and I'm looking forward to it.  I've come to the conclusion that I won't be running in a traditional sense......most "runners" can finish a 5k in a much shorter period of time than I can.  I won't be able to get to my goal of 10 minutes per mile for a bit yet.  But, two years after 
I participated in this same race as a patient, sick from chemo a few days prior and unable to walk from the parking lot to the registration desk, I will be not only chairing this amazing event, but I will also be running in it.  Pretty amazing, when you look back on it.

A friend (thanks Heat) came across 
this amazing article, which for me sums up my version of running.  As I said, I can't run like most people I know - they tend to run quick, and know a lot about their gait, how their shoes help or hinder their pacing, etc.  I am learning some of those things, but slowly - kind of like my running.  I often say that my running is more of a walk/jog for other people.  But, for the fat girl, it's running.  And, I love it.  I will continue it after my race is over, and I am already looking forward to the next one.  There are some races before the holidays, but I don't know if I'll take part.  I'm going to take it one day at a time, and figure out what I'm going to do when I'm ready for it.

Meantime, have you registered/donated yet?  :-)  Well,
here's the link....

Comments:

Judloved said...

Decision and objective friend with you to achieve your goals, do not let the disease beat you achieve, shows sacrifice and against all odds that you can manage to overcome the pain and your health care in these 100%.
October 21, 2010 at 12:13 PM

No comments:

Post a Comment