Tuesday, September 21, 2010

SEPTEMBER 21, 2010


So, my intentions were good, but there is no way in the near future (i.e., 2010) that I'm going to able to adequately get to concise posts about the trip to Austin.

Instead, I'll try a pictorial tour and recap.  How's that?


You saw in the last post, Friday was spent getting there, getting dinner, and attending an ice-breaker event, complete with finding out whether our fellow survivors rolled, folded, or crumpled our toilet paper.  It was full of laughter and getting-to-know you games.  We then sat around and told our stories....how we got there.  There were stories that made you laugh, stories that made you cry, and stories that made you want to get up and cheer because we all were fighting this disease, with all we had.  Pretty cool.


This was my take from that night.  He sits on my desk at work.  He's Wayne Duck-sky.  I know - I don't get out much.


Then, off to bed and up the next morning.  Saturday morning came WAY too early for me (remember, Austin is two hours ahead of Phoenix), so there was to be no running for Michelle, despite all the good intentions.  Breakfast was delicious, and we all met in the library to break out into discussions (via a rousing competition of rock/paper/scissors used to break us into two groups).

The finale....Team Edward versus Team Jacob.  I don't know WHY they chose those names (I mean, I get they are from Twilight, but...).  I was on Team Jacob.  He's cuter, anyway.  Right?  I don't know - never saw the movies.  ***I digress***

These talks were pretty emotional and centered around where we are today.  It was quite an eye-opening experience to realize that I wasn't the only one still struggling with the reality of what I've been through.  I suppose that was the point.  :-)

After this kumbaya moment, we headed into another room for painting.  Now, this is something I have ALWAYS wanted to do.  Kind of a bucket-list item, if you will.  You know on PBS, that guy with the poofy afro-like hair that paints "happy trees?"  Yes, I love watching him.  And, I got to paint happy trees.  So.  Happy!  

This is me, Crystal (center) and Eden (right, and my roommate) painting.  This was so much fun, because Crystal is a self-professed Type-A person, and had trouble "letting it just flow." 





My painting - not the most beautiful painting on the world, but it's MINE.  That makes it special.  :-)

After painting, I think we headed to lunch (it seemed like we were always eating), and we had a few moments to just relax.  We hung out outside, on the patio.  Gorgeous.






After this, we had the chance to participate in a class hosted by the resort.  It was billed as a yoga/meditation type event.  Not so much.  I guess the best way to describe it was that this very nice lady who wholly and completely believed in what she was doing tried to teach us methods of breathing that would help us through pain, etc.  At first, I was thinking it was going to be a lamaze-type class.  It wasn't that, either.  She started out by telling us that the technique is used regularly in Russia, but isn't accepted practice in the US (first flag).  Second flag - she told us that by doing these breathing techniques, she was able to get rid of fibrous tissue in her breasts.  Hmmm...wrong crowd, lady.  Third flag - we had to hiss like snakes while holding our hands on the part of our body that hurt.  Oh - there was growling involved, too.  Needless to say, we were very patient with her and didn't talk badly about her until after we left.  At that point, though, all bets were off.  It was priceless.  It has become a running joke, and will continue to be so.  Awesome.


They came prepped for the yoga.  Hmmm.....sorry guys!



Wow.  Just, wow. 


The looks say it all.  REALLY?!?!

After this, we headed to a pizza-making contest, which was fun.  They resort had put out all sorts of yummy pizza toppings.  We all got to custom-make our own version, which was then taste-tested.  Mine didn't win the contest, but was delish nonetheless.  Half sauce, half pesto.  Sauce side had mushrooms and cheese, pesto side had artichoke hearts and cheese.  All of it was topped with fresh basil and oregano.  MMMM....


In line, making our creations...

Yum...

After we were completely stuffed, we headed out for some free time, and where better to spend free time than at the pool.  It is a gorgeous pool with an infinity drop, so it looks like you're going to fall right into the canyon.  You don't, but the effect is cool.  :-) 









After the pool, we headed back to the rooms to get dressed up for dinner.  We were all fancied out, and dinner was, um, well, not worthy of our dress but okay.  We were not as impressed as we had been for the other meals.  Oh well.




The Colon Kids!  We are all colon cancer survivors, and you can imagine how HAPPY we were to meet one another.  Just amazing. 

After dinner, we saw two comedians (who used notes to remember their routines, which took away from their lackluster performances).  After this, the real fun.

YouTube videos and Duct-tape wallets.  Oh yes.  Indeed....


 
The materials
The end results.  Loved it.  Still using the bottom one. 

After this, I went to bed.  I was exhausted. 

Sunday was mainly getting packed to head home, having discussions around where we could get help moving forward, and the trip to the airport. 

Flipping cancer the bird.....awesome! 

This was an amazing, life-changing trip.  Meeting and spending time with other AYA survivors was truly what I needed.  It was spectacular, and emotional, and just.....right.  It was perfect.

I want to go back.  Anyone else up for a reunion?   

Comments:

mtbikernate said...
love it, I had no idea you got a close-up of me before I bolted during the crazy lady's "the bob". And yes, I do have an expression that just SCREAMS "this lady is absolutely off her rocker batshit crazy".
September 21, 2010 at 9:05 AM
Blogger Heat said...
Your painting is awesome! Much better than the one I did at a survivor's day of art at Banner Desert...
September 21, 2010 at 1:26 PM
Blogger jnwhiteh said...

I love the painting! Any chance we could get some reprints? I'd definitely hang it!
September 22, 2010 at 1:55 AM

No comments:

Post a Comment