Wednesday, December 22, 2010

DECEMBER 22, 2010


Sorry I've been MIA the last couple of weeks - it's been crazy and chaotic, as you can well imagine.  I'll try to recap as best I can...

Update on my situation:
I went on December 8th for my ultrasound and mammogram.  When the breast surgeon sent the RX over, they only wanted to have the u/s and mammo done on the left side.  However, the folks at Valley Radiology were adamant that we should do both, which I felt much more comfortable with.

I went in, not sure what to expect - I've spoken with folks that have horror stories about their mammograms, and (as always) went in expecting the worst, esp b/c I'm not exactly well endowed.  However, I have to say that the tests were both easy, painless, and quick.  I went in for the mammogram first, and while it isn't something I'd like to have happen daily, it was a fairly easy test.  The mammo tech was funny when I mentioned how easy the test is - she reminded me that, compared to having a camera stuck up your rear end yearly, a mammo WOULD seem easy!  :)

I then went into the u/s room, and the tech was great, showing me what she was seeing on the screen, and explaining the difference between breast tissue, muscle, and skin.  Very cool, since the only u/s I've ever paid attention to was when I was pregnant - thankfully, she didn't see any babies!  LOL!

Now, par for the course with me, this test was not without an unusual result.  The u/s tech seemed to concentrate on a particular area of my right breast (not the one with the lump...), and after she left to examine the pictures in more detail, they took me in for another mammogram picture.  I was, obviously, VERY nervous at the time.  All I kept thinking was, I came in for the left, they found cancer in the right, and I'm done for.  *sigh*  Luckily, the mammo tech was smart enough to realize that the area of concern was in the same region as my port scar, and marked the scar with something to differentiate the scar tissue from the breast tissue.  And, thankfully, the area of concern ended up being built-up scar tissue, and nothing more.  They sent me home with my pictures and a note deeming me normal (how funny!).

On the way home, I was flipping through the radio stations and, appropriately enough, the song "
If You're Going Through Hell" by Rodney Atkins came on.  You may remember that this song was very popular the summer I was going through chemo, and became my rally cry.  It seemed perfect that this song came on right after I went through all of this.  Again, amazing things happen when you least expect them.

So, all in all, I'm back to being cancer-free, far as we know.  January will bring another PET scan and more worrying until I get the test results.  Hoping for good news.

December 13th was my two-year mark for the end of my chemotherapy.  Hard to imagine where I am now, as compared to two years ago.  I worked out with my trainer that night, and pushed harder than I have before.  It helps, having the comparison and the history to help me get through mentally.

I posted on facebook today that my trainer helps me realize that, often, the limitations I feel are self-imposed, and it's amazing what I can do when I don't have the time to talk myself out of it.  True in a lot of situation, would you agree?  Think about it....

Later:


Again, apologies for being late in getting this posted.  But, better late than never!

Dad is home, recovering from his surgery, which took place last Wednesday.  He is doing well, and recovering beautifully.  I don't think he's agree with that statement, but I see improvements each day.  He's moving around better, eating well, and his mood is great.

My brother Jim and his fiancee Tom came into town on Tuesday, right before the surgery, so they got to spend a little time with Dad before he went in.  Wednesday brought some tense moments, but the doctor is very confident that he got all of the cancer.

The next couple of days were hard on Dad, obviously, and hard on Mom as she was trying to juggle the boys, Dad, etc.  (She's so strong and amazing....)  Friday came, and Dad was given the all clear to come home.  He's been resting at the house all weekend, and yesterday went to the doctor's for his surgical follow-up and to get his staples out.  I think that will help in the healing process - those are NOT comfortable!  We spent most of the day on Monday at the house, and while I'm fairly certain we wore Dad out, we all enjoyed the time we had.

Dad got confirmation yesterday that his tumor was indeed cancer, and stage three at that.  It was a shock to everyone, b/c we know from experience how close that is to stage four.  The doctor did say, with complete confidence, that he's sure the cancer was contained and they got it all in the surgery.  There is no need for chemo or radiation, which is a blessing.  And, Dad doesn't have to go back to the drs until May, for his 6 month check-up.  Truly, a Christmas miracle!

Jim and Tom leave today to head to Christmas celebration with Tom's family in the Carribbean (nice, huh?), and I think we are all looking forward to a quiet holiday weekend.  While it's wonderful to have family in town, it's been a week of chaos and craziness, so the downtime will be a blessing for all of us.  Levi is sick (with a cold, and he's workinng in Tucson - good times), Mom is apparently sick (probably wore herself down with everything this week), and I'm going to the store today to stock up on Vitamin C and other immune-system building supplements.  :)

Will update more as I have information, but for now, thanks so much for the prayers and good thoughts.  They have helped enormously, and we are all so grateful. 

Comments:


I'm gonna ask a totally stupid question, but what do they mean by stage 3? In lymphoma, the difference between stage 2 and stage 3 is that in stage 2, the cancer is all on one side of the diaphragm (in my case, above), and in stage 3 it is on both sides (so in another lymph node, for example). I had assumed, until I read this post, that that was true for all cancers, but I guess not?

Regardless, I'm glad he's doing well and the docs think they got it all — both good news!
December 22, 2010 at 2:10 PM

No comments:

Post a Comment