Thursday, February 18, 2010

FEBRUARY 18, 2010


This morning, I signed up with an organization called CancerTo5k.com.  They are dedicated to training cancer patients and survivors who are interested in running a 5k.  What's nice is that these folks are survivors themselves (at least, I know Hanna, who I've been in contact with is), and they understand the desire and even more importantly, the physical needs.

They generally do their training in person, but all of their groups are in DC.  Doesn't work for me.  So, I'm doing it remote, so to speak.  I am going to have access to the same trainers and support groups, but it will all be tracked online.  I think this is going to be really good for me, as I'll not only be accountable to a person/people, I'll also be able to track my progress online.

I am so excited.  Because of Levi's travels, I know I won't be able to run as often as I'd like to (3-4 times each week).  Hanna and I talked about it, and we are going to shift the training to accomodate this, which is nice.  We will work with cardo at home, plus weight training (some, I imagine), and running on the weekends.

My goal - to run inthe Undy 5000 of course!

And, maybe, the half-marathon in January?  Who knows.

My reasons for doing this are varied, but all come down to one thing.  I want to do this.  I can go into the health aspects, the inspiration aspects (I'd love to be the mom that inspires her kids to be more active), the personal/greedy motivation (looking better, showing those from high school that I can and did do this - my 20th reunion is coming up in a couple of years)....those pale next to the one.  I want to do this for me.  I fought for this life, and I fought hard.  I want this life to be the best I can make it, and if I can run in a race (RUN....me?), then all the better.

So exciting.  Tomorrow, I'm heading to Runner's Den here in Phoenix to get fitted for a pair of running shoes.  I can't wait.

Holy cow.  I'm going to run a 5k.  Want to join me?

Comments:

kathryn said...
Michelle, this is not related to the race...but I needed to write and say thank you...
I was just diagnosed with Stage III colon cancer. You are so very young to have to deal with this. I am very sorry for all you've had to go through. Here comes the however...
You have been an inspiration to thie "old lady" (I'm 57). I've poured over every word and am still catching up. You have helped me in many ways - and I have just begun this journey.
Thank you for your honesty - for being so bold and saying how you "really feel". I am the one caring for others, this is not a comfortable position to be in. I have a very hard time accepting help I will have to learn many things in the months ahead...that may be the most challenging.
Thank you Michelle for your courage and most of all "just for writing". Blessings and years of good health to you.
February 18, 2010 at 7:41 PM
Blogger Heat said...
GO YOU!

Get the flattest, un-cushiest shoes you can find.

I will run with you any time that we're both free, my dear - just let me know!
February 18, 2010 at 10:13 PM
Blogger Jill said...

Yay Michelle!!!!

I'm traing to run it too!!!

Here is the program I am using to ease myself into it... ask your trainer if they think it would help you.

Not sure what level of fitness you are at now but if you are a couch to 5k kind of gal like me... This program works! I am on Week 6 Day 2.

http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml
February 19, 2010 at 4:02 PM

No comments:

Post a Comment