Thursday, February 4, 2010

FEBRUARY 4, 2010


Whew - I thought the prep for the Undy 5000 was demanding - somehow, this March is appearing to be a bit more crazy.  I think there's a lot of reasons for that, but no matter what, it's all good.  The direction I see things heading in is AMAZING!!!

As you may know, March is Colorectal Cancer Awareness month, and along with that comes a flurry of activity around raising awareness of this disease, touting early detection and prevention, and making others aware that pink isn't the only cancer color out there.  :-)  Our local Colon Cancer Alliance chapter (of which I'm now the acting-chair!) has lots of things planned to support March's activities.

First is our Dress in Blue Day, which is a CCA national event held on Friday, March 5th.  This day is used to spread awareness of the disease by urging survivors, patients, caregivers, and supporters to wear royal blue (well, blue of any kind) along with a pin reminding people to "Ask Me Why I'm Wearing Blue!"  By doing this, we show solidarity as a group, and we raise awareness.  If one person sees someone, asks, and gets checked because of this campaign, it's all worth it.

Our second local activity is our "Colon All Angels: Ride a Bike, Save a Butt" motorcycle run on Saturday, March 6th.  We have partnered with the American Legion Post 2 here in Tempe to put this event on, and we already have great interest.  We will start out at Joeta's Leathers in Mesa, where registration begins at 10:30 and kickstands are up at noon.  We will stop at 3 locations, which have generously offered their buildings as rest stops, colling off points, and will be offering drink specials along with raffle tickets and prizes.  Our final stop takes us to the American Legion Post 2 in Tempe, where Steel Solace (a local band) has donated their time free of charge to raise the roof on the "Angels Appreciation Party."  The party will include dinner (dinner tickets are included in the ride registration fee or can be purchased at the door), dancing, and fellowship.  Raffle tickets will be offered, as well as a 50/50 drawing.  All proceeds will benefit the Colon Cancer Alliance, and this event is gearing up to be a doozy!  You can find more information about the event, including registration costs and pre-registration links by clicking 
here.

Our local chapter is going to be taking part in a symposium on colon cancer at St. Joseph's Hospital in Phoenix on Saturday, March 20th.  We are also partnering with the Arizona Cancer Coalition for a "Night out with the Phoenix Suns", where you can take part in a special event at the Suns game.  Please let me know if you are interested in either event.

As I said, it's going to be a busy month.  I'm still working on getting the time in front of the state legislature, so I'm not sure how that's going to turn out.   I'm pooped already, but it's all going for SUCH a good cause.

OH!  We are working on finalizing the date for the 2010 and 2011 Undy 5000 here in Phoenix.  We are tentatively looking at October 30, 2010, but this date is yet to be confirmed.  However, start planning!  I will be asking for help (financial and volunteer) in a bit!

Comments:

Woo Hoo! Girl you are so busy and it's wonderful!!
February 4, 2010 at 5:12 PM
Blogger Whidbey Woman said...
Thanks for making a difference, Michelle!
February 4, 2010 at 8:37 PM
Blogger Ginger said...
Hi there! I am a Committee member for Jackie's Hope. Though I raise money for Lung Cancer research, I am dedicated in bringing support and comfort to all cancer patients. I just recently started a cancer support blog and I added your blog to our Fellow Support Blogs page. So feel free to visit, become a follower and grab a button to help spread awareness! Thanks for the inspiration!
Ginger
http://jackieshope4acure.blogspot.com
February 6, 2010 at 6:25 PM
Blogger Amie said...

I wonder if they are ever gonna do that Undy 500 here in Nashville. I would love to get that going here - I think it would do well in this market. Any ideas :) ?
Hey, by the way I put up some pictures of my Texas trip and para sailing on my blog. I am keeping up with my blog for my friends and family so we can all keep up to date

http://amielivinlife.blogspot.com/
February 14, 2010 at 1:58 PM

No comments:

Post a Comment