Thursday, June 24, 2010

JUNE 24, 2010


My company sponsors a local blood drive about three times each year here at work.  As a cancer survivor, I assumed that I wasn't able to donate blood.  (Never mind that I never donated blood B.C. - that's another story, involving an unnatural fear of needles.)  I called the company that takes the blood here at work to find out the restrictions, and lo and behold, in spite of my cancer diagnosis, I was able to donate blood if I met some criteria.

Admittedly, I was surprised at this.  I have been told several times that I would be unable to donate until I was at least ten years since last treatment.  The lady I spoke with indicated that those regulations are very outdated, and the new ones are much easier to follow.

In my particular case, because I didn't have a blood cancer, my chemo ended over a year ago with no recurrence, and I was not anemic, I was eligible to donate today.  There were 40 questions in total that I had to answer (things like where have I traveled in the past 20 years, what my personal recreation life is - i.e., do I do drugs, etc.), and I passed.  My blood pressure was 106/68, which I thought was pretty kick ass.  My pulse was strong, I was not anemic, and therefore, I was eligible to have a needle poked into me and blood drawn.

I am so happy that I got the chance to do this.  Honestly, this isn't anything I had ever had the desire to do before cancer.  I was PETRIFIED of needles, and the thought of voluntarily going in for something like this was laughable at best.  Now....well, when you're poked innumerable times over the course of several months, this seems like a walk in the park.  And, it was, for the most part.  It was uncomfortable for about 5 seconds, but beyond that, it wasn't bad at all.  The best part - snacks at the end!  :-)

I learned that a single donation of blood can help up to three people - red blood, plasma, and platelets.  I told the lady I worked with (also a cancer survivor) that if I helped one, it was worth it.  If you are interested in donating blood, please contact your local blood donation facility to find out if your eligible.  You can donate every 2 months, and each time, your blood could save three lives.  Isn't that worth an hour of your time?

Tomorrow - prep for my colonoscopy.  Saturday at 1pm, colonoscopy.  Monday - blood work for CEA levels, etc.  Tuesday, PET scan.  Wednesday - eating whatever I want because I won't have any restrictions.  Follow up appt with my onco isn't until July 19th. 
Comments:
I was inspired to give blood after my father was diagnosed with colon cancer (he passed from it in 1999). Since then, I have been a loyal donor, and now that I am finished nursing my daughter, I am excited to get back to the phlobotomists. Hurrah for one more donor!
June 24, 2010 at 6:55 PM
Blogger joanlil said...

I was a blood donor for over 20 years and made more than 50 donations. I was greatly disappointed at having to resign from giving blood when I was diagnosed with Stage IV colon cancer in December last year. In Australia you are not allowed to give blood until you have been declared cancer free for 5 years. My husband rejoined the donor list when he had been prostate cancer free for that time. I look forward to doing the same - though it's not very likely.
June 25, 2010 at 3:39 AM

No comments:

Post a Comment