Wednesday, May 23, 2012

MAY 23, 2012


I started this post yesterday, and didn't have the time to finish it.  I'm happy to report that I'm still on a Daughtry-high, and don't plan to come down anytime soon.
*************************************************
I don't have a voice this morning.  I don't care - it doesn't matter.  My new friends can have it.  My feet hurt, and I'm not worried.  It's completely, utterly, and totally worth it.

Last night was amazing.  It was like nothing I could have ever imagined.  Better than I could have expected.  I'll try to give you a recap....hopefully, I can make you feel like you were there.  Everyone deserves a night like last night!

The day was pretty low-key.  Levi and I hung out yesterday morning, and left the house at around 11:30am.  We headed to the mall, where I spent some time with my friend Stacey at the MAC store, getting all done up for the concert.  I figured that I should look sassy when meeting the band - why not, right?  From there, we headed downtown to 
Comerica Theater to meet up with my new amazing friend Gina and her husband Max.  We hung out for a little bit until the security guys brought us into the nice, cool lobby.  (It was well over 100* yesterday, and while the shade and breeze helped, it was nice to get into the air conditioning.)

They checked us off *the list*, and handed us our VIP badges and upgraded tickets?  What what?  Oh yes.  They upgraded our tickets - all four of us - to SECOND ROW!!! 

Once we came to terms with the fact that we were going to be so close to the stage, we got the briefing from Shawn, head of security for the band, about the sound check and meet-and-greet.  Basically, the rules were pretty easy - don't kiss the guys on the cheek (Gina had to confirm that we couldn't kiss them at all, and forced Shawn to re-write his speech...LOL!), and don't touch the bald heads.  Ok.  This, I can do.

With that, they walked us into the sound check.  There were maybe 30 of us in total attending the sound check, so we could all get right up next to the stage.  We were so close that when Chris came out on stage, he commented on how close we were.  :)
 
I thought this would be the best part of the night.  Oh, I'm so glad I was wrong.



The band sang three songs, and Chris made an art form of moving around, making it difficult for us to get pictures.  And, that was ok.  I was happy to just stand there and watch.

After he finished the third song, we all trekked back to the lobby to wait for the meet-and-greet.  Ok - so maybe this will be the best part of the night, right?  We waited in line, and had a moment of terror when we thought Gina would miss it (she was in the rest room, and they wouldn't let us go get her for security reasons - ack!)  Anyways, she made it back and we were just about the last folks to meet the band.

They were behind this curtain, and I wasn't sure what to expect.  Would they be behind a table?  Kind of stand-offish?  Nope - standing up, lined up, waiting to meet folks.  I turned the corner, and there they were.  All 5 guys.  *sigh*

I hugged the first (I don't even remember who....LOL!), then stopped and told them the story.  I explained that, while I knew it wasn't them answering the facebook posting, I wanted them to know how much it meant that their people took notice of me, and took *very good* care of me.  I was shocked when Chris not only knew the story, but came up out of their lineup, grabbed me, hugged me, asked how I was doing, made sure I was feeling alright.....ACK!  I hugged the rest of the guys, then chatted for a few minutes.  They were genuine - kind, nice, sweet, and really just regular guys.  They have a professional photog that took the pictures (not sure when we'll get that via email...will post it here when I have it), and we were shuttled away. Gina and her husband did the same routine, then we were kicked out of the theater until the doors opened.

Dinner with new friends was amazing.  We went to a little diner near the theater, and got to know Gina and Max more.  I think this is the start of a long friendship....this makes me happy.  Sometimes, life gives you gifts when you least expect them.

After dinner, we went back to the theater and hung out in the lobby a bit more.  Some drinks were had, and we visited the merchandise booth (I got a sweatshirt to wear to chemo....hey - I can take the band with me now!).  We had a chance to chat more with Shawn, the band's head of security that imposed the "no kissing" rule.  Anyways, he found us in the lobby, told us about his new venture (a television show where he's the host - cool!), and mentioned to us that the guys (meaning the band) specifically mentioned how much they enjoyed meeting us, and enjoyed our energy.  *grin*  And, again, he was a genuinely nice person.  We talked with him a little bit about his job, which is less glamorous than it seems, and he told us about some of the bands that he has worked for (Metallica, Santana, etc.).  He was just an awesome person, and I'm sure, an asset to the band.
Gina, Shawn (or Sean) and I, hanging out before the concert.  
I think there's a hot-ness criteria for Daughtry and his opening acts/band, and I'm totally ok with it.  :)

Shawn left to get back to work, and we took a few moments to debate going in to see the opening acts - I'm SO glad we did.

The first opening act was Mike Sanchez.  You can find him on twitter @TheMikeSanchez.  You can also see him on youtube 
here.  He was really, really good.  I will definitely be keeping an eye on him.

We got a chance to meet Mike after the show - this is Gina and I with Mike and a guy whose name I cannot remember but who sang backup for both Mike and Daughtry. 

The next opening act was SafetySuit.  The lady sitting in front of us was a HUGE fan, and got us excited about the band.  Rightfully so - they were amazing.  Energentic, enthusiastic, and ROCKING!  They had the crowd up on their feet from the very first song.  I highly recommend looking them up - you can find them on twitter @Safetysuit, or 
here.  Check out their new single, "These Times."  Talk about truth...me thinks I have a new theme song.

We got the chance to meet these guys after the show as well.  Super nice, genuine.  Still full of energy after the show.  Just awesome.

After a quick turn-around, Daughtry came on-stage.  And, they freaking rocked the show.  From the first song to the last note, I was on my feet, screaming, clapping, cheering, laughing, crying.  I knew from the sound check that they would kick ass.  But, to hear them with the energy and power of 5,000 fans behind them?

Un.  Real.

I don't know if I can put to words how awesome this concert was.  We started out in the second row, which was amazing.  I mean, I highly recommend viewing a concert from this vantage point, if you can.  It changes the experience completely.

These are pictures from the second row.  I was blown away.  Not only are they talented musicians, they seem to really enjoy what they do.  Sometimes, when I've seen an artist in concert, they let me down.  Their vocal skills aren't quite there, they aren't personable, or they go overboard on their performance and stray from what the fans know and expect.  I was so happy that this band wasn't like that - they improvised but stuck to the core songs, they can *sing*, and good Lord, did they put on a great show!





By about the fifth song, Gina and Max had convinced me to join them in the front row, and I ended up being literally up against the stage, right in front of Chris, for the rest of the show..  *swoon*

This is my new friend Cindy - see how close we were?  Yes, Chris is singing behind us.  This was *during the concert*!  She was following our story on facebook on Sunday, and made sure to find Gina and I.  It was amazing, the people that recognized me/us and sought us out.  Apparently, folks were pretty taken with the whole situation, and wanted to make sure that I was taken care of.  The generosity and kindness shown to me is just unparalleled.  I'm so hopeful that, one day, I can make you all proud, when I'm finally able to start paying it forward. 
This is the set list that was next to Chris' microphone.  Yes, I was that close.  It's ok to be jealous.
For me, one of the most amazing things was the personal vibe the band made sure they provided for me.  It was almost as if the concert was for me, and the other fans were just bystanders.  Chris found me while I was in the second row, and waved, smiled, sang to me.  Then, when I moved up to the front row, center stage, he found me again.  During this song (picture above), he looked at me several times *swoon*, and when the song was over, he came down to the ground, sought me out, and pushed the pick he was using into my hand and held it there.  (Even as I'm typing this, my heart skipped a beat.)  



I know that, for the band, this is not a big deal. They probably get people like me swooning all the time.  They are, I imagine, immune to the screams, the sighs, the tears.  I'm sure that they won't remember me, my story, this concert specifically.  They travel all the time, see thousands of people daily, and are sacrificing time away from their families to provide little folks like me a chance to see them do what they do.  Chris has a family, and he and his wife probably spend more time away from one another than they do together.  I know what that's like, and I ache for them.  But, like Levi, he's just doing his job.


For me?  This was truly a once-in-a-lifetime experience.  I can't begin to express how much it means to me that they made simple gestures like handing me guitar picks during the concert.  To have Chris find me in the crowd, smile at me, wave to me....who gets that kind of treatment at a concert?  He doesn't know me personally.  He had no reason to do that; another artist would have maybe smiled once at me.  He made me feel like the entire concert was *for me*.  I'm still overwhelmed...



I need to specifically shout out to Josh Steely, Daughtry's lead guitarist.  He's the one in the four pictures above.  He was super nice when we met him at the meet-and-greet, and (let's be honest), he's adorable.  So, when we realized that he was on our side of the stage, we were pretty happy about it.  (By we, I meant Gina and I.  Not so sure the guys cared....)

Like Chris, he found me in the crowd, and made me feel like the concert was for me.  He was constantly looking at/for me, watching to make sure we were paying attention.  Lo and behold, we were sitting directly behind his cousin, who was seated in the front row.  It was nice to meet and chat with her (she was the one who got us excited about Safetysuit), and she helped us feel like we knew Josh a little better before the concert began.  

Anyways, twice during the concert, Josh came right up to me while I was right up against the stage and stopped me, grabbed my hand, and both times, told me he loved me and was so glad I was there.  It was so genuine, not at all fake or phony.  The second time he approached me, he grabbed my hand, kissed it, held it tight, and was very adamant that he was glad I was there.  It. Was. Epic.

And, before anyone gets any ideas, he's happily married with kids (as I understand it).  During one of the songs, they showed family photos on the screen behind the guys, and apparently that night was Josh's family's night.  He spent the entire song looking, not at the crowd, but at the screen behind him, blowing kisses to his kids, telling them he loves them, and just radiating a sense of love for his family that could honestly be felt in a room of 5,000+.
   



There can't be enough words in the English language to convey what this concert meant for me.  It's not just the fact that we were upgraded.  I think, looking back on it, part of the reason this was so special is that I was able to enjoy something that had nothing to do with my cancer.  I was normal(ish) for a day, and it was amazing.  I see the irony there - the only reason this all happened was the freaking cancer.  As my friend Heat said, this is like a consolation prize - yes, you have cancer, but look at some of the good things that you get because of that.  

But, on Monday, I was a fan of a great band, enjoying the surprise of a lifetime, making new friends, making memories with Levi and Gina and Max and hundreds of other people.  I was given the chance to meet three amazing bands that seem genuine, kind, and grateful for what they have been given in life.  I met people who I'm sure will become lifelong friends, based on how we all got along on Monday.  

For a day, I was just me, a fan given an extraordinary opportunity.  I wasn't Michelle - stage 4 colon cancer patient.  I wasn't worried about my doctor's appointments, my nausea, my medical bills, my fears, my worries.  I was just Michelle, music lover and Daughtry fan.  

To Gina and Max - this was truly an epic night, and I'm so glad we were able to do it together.  Here's to many more memories.

To Levi - thanks for coming with me, and for allowing me the freedom and confidence to know that, no matter how much I swooned, you were right there behind me, holding me up.  I love you, more than you know. 

To Chris, Josh and the rest of the band - You. Rock.  I was a fan of the band and your music before Monday night.  This fan of your music has become a fan of each of you as individuals, as people.  Never in my wildest dreams did I ever expect that something like this would happen to me.  You read stories about it, and you dream and wonder "what if".  You gave me the chance to stop wondering and live the "what if".  My only regret is that I didn't get a chance to thank you personally at the end of the night, and tell you just how much this meant to me.  Your compassion for me, some random fan with a sad story about fighting cancer, is, was, something I will never forget.  I'm sure that you won't remember this concert, this story, and I'm certain you won't read this blog.  But, please know that, for me, you gave me a night I will never, ever forget.  This story will be told hundreds of times over, and my friends and family will get sick of hearing about Chris and the guys.  No doubt, my husband will be sick of me listening to Daughtry, Safetysuit and Mike Sanchez.  But, this is my way of extending and reliving the most amazing night I've had in a really, really long time.  Going through what I've been through, it's hard sometimes to see the good, the positive, to remember that there are amazing things happening in the world.  I can assure you that, during this next round of chemo and as I move forward in my fight, I will have Daughtry and Steely guitar picks with me, my Daughtry sweatshirt on, and your music playing in my ear.  I can't imagine a better way to help me get through the icki-ness of chemo than to relive Monday.  Thank you, from the bottom of my heart and from the deepest reaches of my soul.  Quite simply, I love you all.  

To my readers - thanks for indulging me my Daughtry talk.  :)  

ROCK ON, people.  Rock on.  

Comments:

KA said...
So thrilled with your time at the concert! I have chills and tears as I read what a wonderful time you had! I love amazing people - so glad that these amazing people, ALL these amazing people, opened their hearts to you - you are so deserving! :)
May 23, 2012 at 10:47 AM
Blogger I'm Nic. said...
Love it, love it, love it! I think my favourite part of the post is how so many people came together to make the night so special. Often we get bogged down by the a-holes in the world - we (I!) have to remember that there are so many genuinely fantastic people on our planet! Dig how you bought a Daughtry sweatshirt so you can bring them along to chemo! Got thinking about the "no touching their bald heads" rule. I don't know if I could stop myself from touching Joe Mac's curly hair...I'd like to think I'd be sensible but um, couldn't guarantee it! Love this post Michelle - I can feel your excitement all the way up here! *grin*
May 23, 2012 at 11:23 AM
Blogger steffy said...
you deserve it. what you are going through isn't easy and anyone that has been touched by cancer knows...

so glad you created an amazing memory.
steph h
May 23, 2012 at 12:41 PM
Blogger Colleen said...
I am so glad you had a great night! I seen you guys. Down up front rockin it!!! So glad you had this experience that you will remember for ever!!!
May 23, 2012 at 3:46 PM
Blogger JP Choudhary said...

I don't know how many more Daughtry concerts my parents will let me go to. (uh oh) So I might wait till they're headlining when Daughtry tickets are cheaper and I have a better chance of meeting them. Although, Daughtry's not bad either. I don't know, we'll see how it goes
May 24, 2012 at 2:09 AM

No comments:

Post a Comment