Friday, April 27, 2012

APRIL 27, 2012

One of the lessons I learned the hard way last time was that chemo has a profound (negative) effect on your dental health.  Whether your oncologist tells you or not, you need to take the lead on making sure that you protect your teeth during and after chemo.

I'm not talking your regular flossing, brushing, and 6-month cleanings.  I'm talking about making sure that you look into a weekly fluoride treatment to help strengthen your teeth.  Prior to my last bout with chemo, I had never had a cavity.  Ever.  After chemo, I had several.  My dentist at the time said that they are a direct result of the chemo treatment.  Great.

He recommended that, if I ever had to go through it again, a weekly fluoride treatment could be helpful.  So, I contacted my dentist this week, and he has written me a script for a fluoride rinse that I'll actually use daily.  In addition to that, he recommended that I come in monthly for a routine cleaning.  I am going to talk with my onocologist next week and ask if he can write me a prescription for this so it can be covered by insurance - right now, if it's not, the cleaning will be $90/month.  Yikes!

Please, if you're going through cancer treatment, consider talking with your dentist about some form of preventative treatment for your teeth and mouth.  Believe me, after going through chemo, you don't want to have a dentist tell you that you need 8 or 10 cavities filled.  :)  I tried finding specific recommendations from a reliable source, recommending preventative dental care during chemo.  Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be anything, which makes me a little sad.  So, maybe I'm the first.  Please - talk with your dentist.  This is important - seems silly, given that you're fighting for your life, but it's important.

Comments:

 Dcaryl said...
My husband agrees that the fluoride treatment is a great step towards protecting your teeth. He also believes the monthly checkups are wonderful, as cavities during chemo pop up really fast. He said more frequent X-rays of your teeth would also be a good idea. There is not much out there on this, you are correct. Different types of chemo can have different problems associated with it in regards to dental health. it sounds like you have a dentist that knows what he is doing.
April 27, 2012 at 10:05 AM


Later:



*sigh*  I thought I was ready for this decision.  I thought that, when the time came to lose my hair and make a decision to shave it off, I'd be much more prepared.  I know that I want to be in charge of this, but being in a situation where I feel like I have to really make the decision - well, it's harder than I thought.

Over the past two weeks, I've noticed that my head has been so much more sensitive than it ever was last time.  It just feels so tender, all the time. Not painful, just tender.  This week, it's been itching me in ways I can't begin to describe.  I feel like I'm going to lose my mind from the itching.

I did some research.  Apparently, hair loss (thinning is what the manufacturer says) is pretty common with Folfiri, specifically the Camptosar/Irinotecan.  When I put the question out to the experts on facebook, the response was pretty definitive that my itching is a precursor to hair loss.

Crap.

So, today's plans for having my hair re-blue'd have been sidelined.  Instead of dyeing my hair, I'll be shaving it.  I think the decision is made, in my head.  My heart - well, that's another story.  I'm ok with it - I really am.  But, I'm going to cry.  I can totally see it happening.  I'm almost there already.

The more I think about it, the more I feel like it's the right thing to do.  I am planning to take the kids to CTCA this afternoon after school to have Julia help me pick out a wig.  I don't know if I'll wear it, but she can help me pick something out.  And, I'm going to let the kids help shave my head.  I think that will help make the decision and the suddenness a little less shocking.

Just talked with my mom and had a little cry.  Feeling better.  I know this is what I need to do.  Itching sucks, and as I told my mom, I've traded the neuropathy and cold sensitivity from the Oxalipalantin with hair loss from this drug.  Sounds like a pretty good trade to me.

All right - off to learn how to tie a scarf.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment