Monday, February 9, 2009

FEBRUARY 9, 2009


Well, there is so much to talk about, but not much time to do it. Basically, we are all doing well. We all made it back to AZ, and happily away from the snow! :-) The services were wonderful, and seeing the family is always a positive side to the loss of a family member. I was so sad to leave my brothers this time, but I know that I will see Jimmy next month, and Bob and Greg in just a few more months.

We are settling back into what a new normal is, and I think this is something that all cancer patients have to deal with. You are going along in life, and then boom! Cancer strikes. You have to adjust your life to this new "cancer normal" until you are deemed to be in remission. For me, during my treatment, my goal was to get back to "normal". What I didn't realize is that I will never ever go back to the normal that I had in early May of last year. I can get back to the same activities, I can continue doing what I was doing then, but things aren't the same, and won't ever be. And, that's okay. This is my new normal, and I am proud of it. I am back to work full-time and started back at school last week (on-line classes, working towards making that Associate's Degree into a Bachelor's Degree!). But, in addition to that, I am working with the Colon Cancer Alliance to establish a local chapter. I am trying to make sure that I take care of myself, and allow the emotions and feelings to process when they hit. I am trying to remember that I am still only 2 months out of chemo, and the tiredness and side effects aren't going to go away just because I want them to. It's going to take time, and that's okay. I have time. Thank goodness.

The biggest side effect, as you well know, that I am dealing with is the neuropathy. That comes and goes, and right now is pretty bad. I guess a good way to describe it today would be that it feels like my fingers are all swollen, so I don't have full feeling into where they are, what they are doing, etc. It's been worse in my feet, too, and that's always fun when it's raining here in Phoenix. Trying to navigate oily sidewalks with feet that don't quite work isn't easy. But, I take a few extra moments to walk a bit slower, and it all works out. 

Another side effect that I am noticing, especially lately, has been chemo brain. This became a real issue at the end of chemo, and hasn't let up much. There are times when I am having a conversation with someone and completely lose my train of thought. I am also finding that it's harder to allow information to seep into my brain, and it takes me longer to learn something. This has provided me with a good challenge, and a learning curve, especially because I am handling some pretty large issues at work and with going back to school. It makes life interesting, that's for sure. I don't think there is anything I can do about this except to find a new way to learn things, and to try to remember that I don't do things the same way I did 9 months ago.

There are some other minor things that have been occurring, but when things happen that are out of the ordinary, I try to remember that my body is still dealing with the chemo (it's still in there, killing off the little cancer bastards) and trying to heal from that stuff. I am trying to give myself permission to take care of me, and that's not easy. But, I am making a very concerted effort to do this. Aren't you proud of me? 

Other than that, things are going well. Levi's work is moving forward, and while he is struggling with that, he is optimistic about his potential and the possibilities. The kid are both doing well - Julia had her first sleepover at Nana and Papa's house, and loved it. What a treat for her - and, for us.

I hope that all is well with you all. I will try to keep things updated more often. I need about a full-day more a week - can anyone tell me how to get that? LOL!

Comments:

Carol Urban said...
Great to hear that you made it back home alright. I checked the blog every day hoping for news.

I managed to come down with a head cold on Monday. Sore throat, fever, etc. We just had this at the end of December. I can't figure it out. I wasn't sick at all during Chemo. I guess my resistance is still low. I wonder how long it takes for the immunities to build back up?

Are you still on for your "deportment" on Friday? Good luck!
February 11, 2009 at 9:35 AM


No comments:

Post a Comment