Monday, January 19, 2009

JANUARY 19, 2009


So, today's the day that will hopefully start me on my road from being a cancer patient to a cancer survivor. I have my blood work today then a little later, my PET scan. 

Blood work will give the dr a good feel for my tumor markers (CEA levels) as well as my CBC (Complete Blood Count), which will tell them how my body is doing with red/white blood cell counts and platelets, etc. since I have been off chemo. The CEA level is pretty accurate with colon cancer in determining if any of the little cancer cells are in there, trying to regroup and attack.

The PET scan, for those of you who don't know, will show the dr whether there are any cancer tumors in my body. Because certain cancers use sugar to grow, I have to cut back on eating sugars for several hours before the test, so last night's dinner was fairly light, and this morning I was restricted to black coffee (ick) and eggs/bacon (not settling well, by the way), with nothing but water after 7:30. Fun. But, for the purposes of the test, it will be fine. They will inject me with a bit of radioactive sugar, then let it settle in the body, then pop me into the machine and run their tests. 

My follow-up appt is on Thursday afternoon - I know that day and time will come soon enough, but it would be nice if it were here, now. Oh well.

So, I will be heading out soon. Craving a soda or coffee for the caffeine (getting a headache, which isn't good), but I will get one when I am done with the test. 

Please think of me this afternoon and hope for the best. I know I am going to be fine, but the extra help wouldn't hurt. :-)

Comments:

Amanda: said...
Thinking of you today and waiting for an update. Hang in there!!!
January 19, 2009 at 12:09 PM
Blogger Carol Urban said...
Michelle, I hope you were able to get through your scan without getting sick. Please let us know when your results are in. I pray yours are clear like mine were! God Bless!
January 19, 2009 at 4:54 PM
Blogger Dan said...
Sending prayers your way as well. My mother has colon cancer and we are awaiting the results from the PET scan and ct-guided needle biopsy. Her appointment is this Wedneday. We applaud your attitude and courage,
January 19, 2009 at 6:31 PM

Later:


Well, I am home from the PET scan. The blood work went fine, except the tech I had sucked. She kept rotting around in my vein - I wasn't sure if she thought she was a pirate and might find treasure, but it was done within a minute. Honestly, though, if you are a phlebotomist (and, I applaud you if you are - I couldn't do that...), PLEASE remember that the arms you poke are attached to people, generally with some sense of feeling. 

Then, off to the PET scan. They took me back to the little waiting room and shot me up with the IV. Fun. They took my blood for a sugar-level test (mine was at 98, whatever that means...), then injected me with the radioactive sugar. I had forgotten about the nasty, gross tasting stuff they use to provide a GI contrast, so they can tell what's your intestines and not cancer. Dad and I sat in the room, waiting for this crap to take hold, while I was trying to choke down the liquid snot. Dad and I actually got scolded for talking - apparently, moving around too much, including talking, can activate certain levels of something and make the tests come back with false positives. We were still as statues after that - we weren't doing anything to jeopardize this test. 

Then, I got called into the room, had to change, then got put in the tube, where I proceeded to nap. Yup - I took short little naps. Until the stuff they made me drink hit my tummy really bad, and then I was waiting for the test to be over so I could get to the bathroom without being sick in the machine. Luckily, I wasn't sick, but it was close.

So, now begins the waiting game. Thursday, 4:15 AZ time. I am going to try to stay calm between now and then - I have some things to keep me busy, and to try to keep my mind off this. I am going to spend time with the kids tomorrow night, since I had to keep my distance tonight b/c of the radioactive stuff in my system. I have a CCA meeting on Wednesday, and then it's Thursday and, hopefully, a REALLY good Thursday. 

Until then.....keep us all in your thoughts. My parents lost a friend this morning to cancer - she has been fighting her battle for over 6 years, and she is finally home and no longer in pain. They couldn't ever find out the original site of her cancer, just that it was always there. She has been going in an out of chemo for 6 years, and her body finally just gave out. 

In her honor, and in her memory, I will continue to fight this battle, not only personally but publicly, making sure I do everything in my power to spread the word, the awareness, and the strength. We are ALL survivors, and we will continue to try to kick cancer's ass. It's the only way. 

I've said it before, and I'll say it again - cancer - you picked the wrong bitch to mess with!!! :-)

Comments:

Sharon R. said...
And we'll continue to be right there with you and will be there to cheer you on when you DO win! I'm glad yesterday went well and sorry I didn't get the chance to talk to you. Onward to Thursday! We will all keep praying and pulling for ya! :)
January 20, 2009 at 10:25 AM
Blogger Carol Urban said...
Ugg. I know just what you felt like yesterday. Glad it's over. Many positive thoughts, prayers and vibes being sent your way!! So sorry about your parents friend. Glad her suffering is over. Will check for your post tomorrow after I get back home from the hospital (my port is getting removed!).
January 21, 2009 at 5:11 AM


No comments:

Post a Comment