Monday, January 5, 2009

JANUARY 5, 2009



Julia has been great during this whole thing, and while I know that this is a good experience for her to have, I am still so sorry that she had to have it at all. I know that she is more compassionate, more understanding, and wiser because of this journey. It's actually pretty funny sometimes when she talks about my cancer and the chemo. To her, chemo is the cure all for everything. Tummy ache? Chemo. Cough? Chemo. Need to lose weight? Have some chemo - yum!

Tonight at dinner, she asked me (and I kid you not) if there was a Chemo Santa for the green army men inside me. LOL! For those of you who haven't read the entire blog (and, shame on you!!!), the way I explained the chemo to Julia was that the cancer was like germs, only worse. And, while our bodies have white blood cells to kill the germs, our bodies need help with the cancer cells. So, we likened the chemo to Green Army Men (from Toy Story - go Buzz Lightyear!!!) and told her that the chemo would make Mommy not feel well because they needed to take so much energy to kill all the cancer.

We haven't mentioned chemo much in the last couple of weeks, I think as a matter of relief and, to some extent, ignoring the obvious for a while. About every couple of days, though, Julia will pop out with some reference to chemo, and I have actually had to stop her a couple of times to remind her that not everyone gets chemo. I have to remind her that chemo means you have cancer, and that's the only reason you have chemo....instead of, for instance, just assuming people who say they are tired have chemo, automatically.

If there is a Chemo Santa, I would like, please, a healthy colon, a healthy family, and, um, my mortgage paid off. Even for one month. Is that too much to ask? Too greedy, you think? Well, I suppose getting done with chemo for Christmas was present enough!

No comments:

Post a Comment