Sunday, March 17, 2013

MARCH 17, 2013


In spite of the radiation and chemotherapy, I still have some amazing things happening in my life.

This coming weekend, I will be taking part in a 
Blogger Summit at CTCA, and on Saturday, I'll be speaking on the patient panel.  I am so honored.  There are amazing people listed as attendees, and I honestly feel like I'm this novice, this newbie who's going to be among pros and highly well-known bloggers.  We'll see if I can hold my own.  I am very excited to take part, especially because members of my medical team, including Dr. K, Dr. Chong, and others will be there as attendees, as well.  Hopefully, they don't think any less of me after this blog summit.  :)

And, on Friday night, I've been asked to do something very special, very cool.  This time of year is Spring Training here in Phoenix, and there are games all over the city.  In Goodyear, the Cleveland Indians and Cincinnati Reds train.  Part of the summit includes attendees heading to a game on Friday night, which is between the Cleveland Indians and the Arizona Diamondbacks.

Before the game starts, I'll be taking part in the "Home Run for Life."  As I understand it, what happens is this...shortly before the game starts, the PA announcer will do a 30-60 second short-version of my story, how I got to CTCA, etc.  At that point, I will run (walk...let's be honest) the bases on the field.

The Arizona D'backs will be lined up along the first base line, greeting me, hugging me, offering high-fives.  The Cleveland Indians will be lined up along the third base line, offering the same support.

Waiting at home plate will be Levi, the kids, my parents....and my care team.  I am going to cry like a baby - even as I sit here, I'm tearing up.

It's such an honor, and so overwhelming to think that I'm somehow worthy of this amazing life, these fabulous experiences, this wonderful joy that I get to feel.

I will make sure that we get plenty of pictures...I just need to remember to rest up, so I can actually make it around the bases.  I'm thinking I may take the kids with me on that walk - they don't know about this yet.  I may make it a surprise.  We went to our first spring training game last weekend, and they LOVED it.  Kevin is a big fan of the D'backs, and I know he is going to freak out when he sees who's playing.

Another amazing experience....yes, this life kind of sucks, but it's also kind of awesome.

All in all...I'll take it.

*****************************

I have to say something here.  I know that there are people who think I take advantage of my cancer, of my "disability".  There are those that think that I use my cancer to get things, to be able to take part in things, to get attention.

If you think that, I say to you this - I would give up absolutely every amazing thing I've experienced, if it meant being fully, completely healthy.  I would never use my cancer to try to "gain" anything.

What I've been given, what I've experienced, what I've been able to do has been solely, completely through the generosity of others.  I have a friend who's also a survivor - we call these "consolation prizes" of cancer.  Without cancer, none of this would be possible.  And, again - I'd give it all up, happily, to be healthy.

But, this is my life.  I have amazing people in my life, and I'm lucky that they think highly enough of me to think me worthy of these fantastic experiences.  I'll accept them, humbly, graciously, and hope that I can somehow use them to help others, to teach others, to raise awareness, and yes - to make my children's and my husband's and my extended family's lives better.

I don't seek out these opportunities.  They come to me.

If you don't like it, or you doubt me....tough shit.

To my supporters...thank you.  For everything.  I wouldn't be here without you.

Comments:

Unknown said...
To all the naysayers out there, may they never have the opportunity to share what you have experienced. I pray they never have to experience having to hear the words "You have cancer." I pray they never have to have a foot of their colon removed, or have to go through the placement of a port, or taste saline as the port is flushed. I pray they never have to hear that there is a met of the cancer they thought was in remission or have to lay there as poison is pumped through their body, feel the weakness that follows, or have to face the newest battle of radiation. I pray to God they never get to experience all the fun we had over the past 5 years. As your mother, I can say you have earned any "consolation prizes" you've received. Because not only have you had to go through everything I've described, but you've taken that experienced and used it to help educate the world about colon cancer. You HAVE made a difference in this world and those prizes are simply the world's way of saying thank you for being you. I love you!
March 17, 2013 at 12:22 PM
Blogger Joan Bardee said...
Take whatever life offers you. You deserve it.
March 17, 2013 at 12:43 PM
Blogger Carol Pack Urban said...

Use the gifts God gave you; your beautiful smile, your ability to speak to people, your willingness to help others. You are such a blessing!
March 17, 2013 at 5:16 PM

No comments:

Post a Comment