Monday, January 4, 2010

JANUARY 4, 2010


If you are on chemo currently, please read this post very carefully, then immediately make an appointment with your dentist.  You have been warned.

I have always been pretty adament about getting my teeth cleaned.  This is something my parents instilled in me years ago.  Even when I had to have several teeth capped because of a dumb thing I did, I was very conscious about making sure that my teeth weren't neglected.  I have never in my life had a cavity.

During chemo, I was VERY worried about how my teeth would be affected.  I went to see the dentist, had a cleaning as soon as I could, and have been very good about brushing 2-3 times each day.  I could admittedly better about my flossing (as in, doing it at all!), but hey - we aren't all perfect.

I went to the dentist today expecting to hear the same good news.  No cavities.  Not so much.  Long story short - I am now facing about $500 in dental bills for fillings.  Why, you ask?  Because, according to my new dentist (who I like very much, and who speaks English, which is a plus around here!), I had chemo.

Shut your mouth, I say.  Nope.  True.  And he explains why.

***WARNING - some gross-ness ahead***

Apparently, when women my age (ahem....33, thank you very much) have had children (2 by my count) and have had acid reflux caused by the pregnancy (usually in the third trimester - guilty here!), they tend to have adult cavities, caused by the acid coming up in their mouth and causing issues.  Ew.  Compound the thrill and joy of childbirth with the hell of chemo, and the awful horrible freakish acid reflux induced by chemo, on top of diminished salivary activity thanks to said devil chemo.....well, I'm looking at about 6 cavities.  Mostly between teeth, where there are teeth edges touching. They aren't really bad...yet.

Great.  Thanks, Folfox.

So, I am waiting on an estimate back on the fillings.  I am looking at about $500 (by my count), at least.  Plus, he wants me on a fluoride-boosting RX toothpaste.

*sigh*

I thought this year was going to be better.  PLEASE let this be the bad news this year.  PLEASE.....

Comments:

Tina said...
Wow--Thanks for the warning! But sorry you had to find out the hard way!
I haven't been to the dentist in awhile--not sure if I'm supposed to due to low blood counts and platelets. But I've been trying to take good care of my teeth until my chemo is done and I can get in for a good cleaning.
Can you just have 1 or 2 done at a time? Sometimes if they are small cavaties they can wait awhile to be filled.
I hope there comes a time someday when we can say we have no more side effects from this "freaking chemo"!
January 4, 2010 at 7:43 PM
Blogger Heat said...
How does chemo cause cavities? You're not the first person I've heard this from, but I haven't had any issues so far (knock on wood).
January 4, 2010 at 9:43 PM
Blogger Michelle said...
Apparently, chemo causes the salivary glands to produce less saliva, which cuts down on the amount of "cleaning" the saliva can do when you eat. Additionally, with the heartburn I have had (both from the pregnancies and the chemo), it causes issues with the teeth. GOod times.
January 5, 2010 at 2:27 PM
Blogger Carol Pack Urban said...
I was waiting until I finished chemo before I scheduled my next dental exam. I didn't have any cavities after the six months of chemo the first time around even though I had terrible indigestion and acid reflux (chemo related) which required me to start on Prilosec. I have noticed that my gums and mouth were extremely sensitive during chemo. Just mild brushing with a super soft toothbrush caused gum bleeding. Even very mild toothpaste burned my mouth. I floss and brush twice a day but the gums are still sensitive and bleed. The one thing my dental hygenist suggested was a mouth rinse called Peroxyl. She said after just a week of using it gingivitis would be gone (if you had that). I couldn't use it during chemo but am using it every day now.
January 5, 2010 at 5:21 PM
Blogger Amanda: said...
Josh had a ton of dental issues thanks to chemo too... and he was just a toddler when he had it.
January 6, 2010 at 8:11 PM
Blogger Alli said...

I just came across your blog and read this. WOW!! and here I thought I was the only one who experienced dental problems. 3 of my teeth have broken, one right at the gum as though it snapped in half, One tooth fell out and the other is cracked. Here I looked after my teeth as well. I was shocked because it is going to cost me a couple thousand to fix. i am debating on having the rest removed as the dentist said that chemo will weaken the enamel eventually causing then to crack and break as well.
Man I never signed up for all these side effects..It's very frustrating!! Alli
January 7, 2010 at 3:23 PM

No comments:

Post a Comment