Sunday, October 25, 2009

OCTOBER 25, 2009



The Undy 5000 is coming up.  I finally got my team registered.  Click here to see my web page.  Last year, with your help, I raised over $1,000.  I want to beat that this year.  I know that times are rough - believe me.  I understand this.  But, if you can donate even a dollar, this money goes towards amazing things.

For example, 40% of the race proceeds this year stay locally.  20% stay with our local chapter (of which I am the Public Relations focal).  We will use this money to hold events, attend others, purchase awareness materials, and donate money to families who have lost loved ones to this horrific disease.  Another 20% of the proceeds get donated to the Arizona Department of Health Services.  They use this money to fund colonoscopies for un- and under-insured people that are at risk.  The money also goes to help pay for treatment for those people that are diagnosed with colorectal cancer.

The other 60% of the proceeds go back to our national organization and will help fund, among other things, future Undy events.

On a more personal note, if you are reading this blog, you know why this event is so near and dear to my heart.  I fought this disease.  I have loved and lost people that have fought this disease.  Several times a week, I am introduced to people that are survivors of this beast.  It's an amazing blessing that I have been given, to be allowed to be a part of such an intimate fight.  I am truly lucky to be able to be here, to blog about this, and to know that I can make even a small difference in the lives of those coming up behind me.

And, even more important....I can WALK this year's event.  Last year, I was three days out of chemo when the Undy took place.  My husband and mother pushed me around the event in my wheelchair.  This year, there will be NO wheelchair.  I will be walking, of my own accord, and celebrating kicking colon cancer's ass.

Pretty cool.

So, please consider joining my team.  Please donate.  Every little bit helps.  And, thank you. 

No comments:

Post a Comment