Sunday, September 28, 2008

SEPTEMBER 28, 2008


I went to see Dr O (my oncologist)this week, for a check up and update on status, etc. We got some really good news! First, my blood work all looks REALLY good. I hope that means that the Neulasta shot is working! And, my CEA counts (tumor markers) are really low, which is another good sign. Again, this SHOULD mean that the cancer is having it's ass royally kicked by yours truly, and that I am winning this battle.

The other REALLY good thing that I found out is that I do not have to repeat the two missed 5-FU treatments (from the week I ended up in the hospital and the treatment after), assuming that I don't miss any more days of it. (Fingers and toes crossed here!) That means that, if my counts are right, my last chemotherapy treatment will be the week of Thanksgiving. ARE YOU KIDDING ME?!?!?! Isn't that awesome? I am so excited. I am trying to be cautiously optimistic, b/c I know that this could change with any of the treatments, or if I get sick, etc. So, while I am happy to have this day on the horizon, I am also trying to be realistic.

We also used the word *remission* for the first time during this appointment. I asked her long-term what the plans are. She said that we would finish chemo, get a PET scan (to make sure there isn't anything else hanging out in my body), and once I get that cleared, get the port out. And, when I asked her if I am considered to be in remission when chemo is done, she smiled and said yes. OMG! What a feeling that was, to know that this point is in the foreseeable future. I am completely and totally ecstatic. Again, cautiously. But, still....

So, it was a great appointment. There is some confusion on exactly what round number I am on. I think what happened is that one of the chemo nurses assumed that Dr O would want me to make up the two missed 5-FU infusions, and modified my round number according to that assumption. But, since I don't (at this point) have to worry about that, I am going into this week as Round 8, which means that I will be working on being 3/4 done with chemo.

Unreal....isn't that GREAT news?!?!


I met Paula Hardison, the Executive Director of The Wellness Community here in Phoenix, about a month ago. I was at TWC for my weeky meeting, and had the chance to speak with her briefly. She was a wonderul person, kind, caring, and passionate about TWC and its mission. While we were talking, she asked me if I would come to the LEadership Council meeting and make a short 5-7 minute speech about my experience with TWC and its imact on my life. I assumed that this was a monthly meeting, about 5-10 people, etc. Nothing too big.

Nope. This week was the presentation, and it was quite the thing. I got to TWC early (I headed there after my drs appt) and was excited to see that the cooking demonstration they put on every Thursday was still happening, so I was able to get samples of the foods cooked. Yum! I met Kevin, the chef, and got a copy of his cancer cookbook, which I can't wait to start using. More on that in another post.

Anywhoo, after feasting on the tofu scrambled eggs, multi-colored salad (fresh beans, peppers, basil, tomatoes, and oranges - yum!), and rice ice cream and berry applesauce (to die for!), it was time to head to the meeting. I am not sure how people get involved with the Leadership Council or what it takes to become a member of this council, but the people that I met and was introduced to have all been touched personally by cancer. They were great people, and it was a pleasure talking with them.

Once the rounds of introductions were completed, Paula asked me to come up front. I had written some information down, lest I forget what I meant to say, but I really didn't need to look at it. I reviewed my story, and then told them how wonderful TWC has been in helping me with my recovery and treatment. I was able to share with them how TWC allows me to meet with other people who can sympathize with my issues, b/c they have been there or are there right now. And, I was able to share with them how TWC has helped my family by helping me. It was an honor to be able to speak with them, and the ovation I got helped the ego.

I just wanted to share this with you, and remind you that if you are personally dealing with cancer, either as a patient or as a caregiver, please consider going to your local Wellness Community. There is no obligation, no pressure, and no expectations. But, you will get support and assistance for dealing with your situation. And, you might make a new friend or two. Always a good thing in my book. :-)


Levi and I have been having discussions about what happens after chemo is done. One of the things that we have decided on it to modify our eating habits and to incorporate excercise more into out lives. This will mainly consist of cutting out red meat and eating a more plant-based diet, and planning more family walks, hikes, etc.

To this measure, I just bought the book, Anti-Cancer, from Costco. Dad bought "The Owner's Guide to You", another book, and said that this would be a great resource. I was just given a cookbook from the chef that does cooking classes at TWC, Kevin (book is called The Survivor's Handbook - eating right for cancer survival), and one of my managers is sending me a copy of a cookbook that he and his family use all the time (thanks again, Troy!).

If you have any recommendations on cookbooks, ideas on how to get more excercise into our busy lives, or how to get protein without eating meat, please, send them to me. This is going to be a change for us, but we are welcoming it with open arms. Anything we can do to try to avoid hearing the sentence "You have cancer" again is what we want to do. I want to know that I have done everything I can to try to give my body a fighting chance against any other rogue cancers that try to get started. Additionally, this will give Levi and the kids a head start against anything they might have to fight in the future.

What a life. I can't believe I am already starting to think about life after cancer. What a blessing. I didn't think I would make it this far. There were definitely times when I doubted my ability to make it to the end of chemo - now, I can start to think about life AFTER chemo. It's truly a change. And, exciting.

No comments:

Post a Comment