Thursday, September 4, 2008

SEPTEMBER 4, 2008


So, to say that I didn't expect to have another hellacious round of chemo would be an understatement. I had it in my head that this would be a piece of cake, compared to the last round,. However, once again, I was forced to cut chemo short due to fever and various other symptoms. The upside? I didn't get admitted to the hospital. The downside...well, isn't this whole thing a "downside?"

Tuesday, Dad and I headed into chemo around noon, after I spent a wonderful morning basically doing nothing, until New Kids on the Block came on The View and I was able to relive my teenage years by dancing and singing to the tune "Step by Step". It was awesome. I can't wait to get their new album, which came out this week. I know, most of you are rolling your eyes at me, wondering how I could listen to them. Well, get over it. I do. And, I love it. In my defense, I also love rock, country, show tunes, some rap, some pop, and classical music. I am, as they say, a well-rounded musical enthusiast.

Anyway, I digress. Dad and I headed to chemo, and all was well. I seemed to be doing okay until we headed home, and once again, the fever monster seemed determined to take over my body. I literally had sweat dripping all over me on the ride home (which couldn't be completely attributed to the temp in the car, b/c Dad was okay). Within a couple of hours, I was cuddled up on the couch, under two quilts and a blanket, shivering from my fever. At the highest, it was 102. Not good. We called the after-hours line, and Dr. Rakkar (who was the dr that I see in the hospital, and is in the same office at my oncologist, Dr. Ondreyco) called back and told me to take two Tylenol every four hours and to call the office in the morning. No, really, I swear that's what he said.

I spent the night going back and forth between the sweats and the shivers, dealing with a pounding headache, and generally feeling crappy. Wednesday morning (yesterday), Dad called the drs office and was given an appt with Bill, who we had just seen on Tuesday, at 11am. We get to the office, and my temp seems to be okay (I think it was 97.9), but clearly I am not. They take me into the corner room and Bill comes in with this pretty downtrodden look on his face. It was clear to me at this point that they didn't know what to do with me. They took more blood cultures, another CBC count, and ordered a chest x-ray and a urine sample. They took off the pump and said that I was stopping chemo, with no definitive date set to restart it. I think they want to make sure that we get whatever the hell is doing this to me taken care of first. Anyway, basically the ruling yesterday was that I am now on some really strong antibiotic, off chemo, waiting for the results from the chest x-ray and blood work (urine sample today - fun). It seems like no one really is sure what's going on. They don't know if it's the same thing that happened last time, or if it's coincidence that I am sick in the same manner twice in a row.

However, Dr. Rakkar happened to catch me in the waiting room while I was being checked out, and he said that he thinks this is happening b/c my body is having a bad reaction to the Oxilipalantin, which is the drug they give me on the first day that causes the cold sensitivity, etc. Hmmmmm - I asked if he would mention that to Bill, and he did! I don't know where this will go from here, but that's kind of my gut reaction, and has been. We will see what happens. Once I start feeling human and live again, I am going to try to research some other forms of chemo (that can be used in addition to the 5-FU and Leukovorin) to battle this damn cancer.

So, I wanted to let you all know, this isn't going to be an easy trek. Apparently, I am meant to go through hell and back on more than one trip, and I know that there is a reason. I am hoping that this allows me to have more compassion and patience in my life, and that I am able to help someone else get through what I am going through. I tell you what, I wouldn't wish this on ANYONE.

Please, pray for me and my family. It appears that this isn't going to be an easy road, and we need all the support we can get. I will keep you updated as I get more information.

Comments:
Grrr, I'm sorry this round is troublesome too. Just know that we're all continuing to pull for and pray for you and you'll get through this. Just one day/round at a time.
September 4, 2008 at 10:58 AM

Blogger Amanda: said...
Oh man - I hated the infections that came along with Joshua's chemo... Hope you shake this soon and can get back on track.
September 4, 2008 at 5:48 PM
Blogger Dan said...
I was diagnosed with colon cancer at the same time you were. I had surgery and started chemo 4 weeks later, but decided against the treatment you're having (oxaliplatin, leucovorin, 5FU) in favor of just oxaliplatin and xeloda. I have one IV treatment (no port) of oxaliplatin every three weeks, and two weeks of xeloda orally (one week off). I have NO nausea, the side effects are manageable, and I actually returned to work the same day I started chemo. Ask your doctor about the Xolox treatment (oxiliplatin and xeloda). Hope this helps.
September 5, 2008 at 5:36 PM


No comments:

Post a Comment