Saturday, September 6, 2008

SEPTEMBER 6, 2008


So, did you watch the Stand Up 2 Cancer show last night? If you didn't, shame on you. It was well worth it. As a cancer patient (and eventually, survivor), I was so moved by this display of generosity. If you didn't watch it, I implore you to please go to their website and consider donating. I donated $20 - that's about all I could give, but I know that the money is all going to research that will, with God's will, allow our children to live in a cancer-free world. To me, that's worth it.

I think the most moving part for me was the stories of everyone that is going through it. If you read my previous post, you can see that I am struggling, emotionally, with everything. It's a hard battle that needs to be fought, and sometimes, you feel like it isn't worth it. Like maybe you should just give up. I tell you what - I needed to watch that show last night. I couldn't pull myself away. I needed the boost to remember that I am not the only one going through this. That I am not the only one waging this war. And, to remember that there are people out there fighting this battle just as much as I am.

Listen to the music. The song called "Just Stand Up", performed by a number of the top performing female singers of today, was wonderful. It was inspiring to see these artists, spanning every genre of music today, get together to raise money for this wonderful cause. You can download this tune at iTunes, I believe. Then, at the end of the show, Melissa Etheridge (and friends) sang this amazing song that I am hoping I can download. It was all about power, and strength, and fighting with your heart even through you are too tired to fight. It was such an uplifting song, and as I was sitting on my bed, tears streaming down my face, I knew that I needed to hear those words at that time, b/c I was starting to feel like I didn't have the strength to go on. But, I do. My heart does.

If you watched this show, I hope that you enjoyed it. I hope, selfishly, that you thought of me, and said a prayer not only for me, but for the thousands of people that are fighting this horrific battle. The statistics are grim - 1 out of every 2 men, and 1 out of every 3 women will be diagnosed with cancer. 1500 people each day die from cancer. (The stat that stuck with me - that means every 2 days, more people die from cancer than all of those that died in the World Trade Center disaster on 9/11. No less horrible, certainly, but definitely worth noting...) This means that, at some point in your life, you will be affected by cancer. I already have been. I know my friends and family that are reading this have been. If you came across my blog "by accident" or via a search engine, thanks for reading. I hope that you never have to go through what I am going through.

But, to make sure that future generations don't have to go through the agony of either dealing with cancer themselves, or the horror of watching someone they love go through it, consider donating. Every single dollar helps. And, every single dollar goes to research. The money isn't doled out to administrative fees, like some of the walks and runs do. All of this money goes to research. And, thus, to the cure. As they said last night, let's make cancer history.

Now, I just need to figure out where I can get one of those "In the fight" tee shirts that they wore last night. I wish I could wear the "Survivor" once, but that day is soon coming. If you find that tee shirt, please send me the link. I want one.
Comments:
Ashley said...
Hi! I came across your page by accident while looking for what song Melissa Ethridge sang at the end of the show last night. I saw where you were looking for it as well. Any luck? If so, please let me know. I wish you all the best in your battle against cancer.
September 6, 2008 at 7:03 PM
Blogger Simply Exquisite said...
I watched it and it really moved me and I just knew you would be watching it too :). I thought of you and prayed for you the whole time.
I love you, Michelle and you will be this and stand up to cancer!
September 7, 2008 at 12:40 PM
Blogger Michele said...
Hi Michele,
I read your comment about one day being a survivor and being able to wear a survivor shirt and I just want you to know that YOU ARE A SURVIVOR IN EVERY SENSE OF THE WORD!
I work for a chapter of NSC in Albany, NY, and have known your mom for years. But I am also a volunteer and Event Chair for the American Cancer Society's Relay for Life. By ACS standards, you are considered a SURVIVOR from the day you hear "you have cancer" because that's just what you're doing ... surviving every day! So go ahead and order that shirt and wear it with pride! You've earned it.
Good luck on your road to remission. We'll be rooting for you here in NY!
October 2, 2008 at 12:20 PM

Later:


These are the lyrics to the song Melissa Etheridge performed on last night's "Stand Up 2 Cancer" telethon. It really moved me, and I am dying to get a copy of this song. Anyone out there have it, and can you please tell me where to get it?

*****************************************************************

Copied from
http://www.melissaetheridge.com/home/meNews.php#ff808081181982ab011c2566816f001b.

Melissa is doing a special version of "I Run For Life" called "I Stand For Life." Performing with her will be Jennifer Nettles of Sugarland, Jason Mraz, Bebe Winans, Shelby Lynne, and others.

The "I Stand For Life" special lyrics are:

It's been years since they told her about it
The darkness her body possessed
And the scars are still there in the mirror
Everyday that she gets herself dressed
Though the pain is miles and miles behind her
And the fear is now a docile beast
If you ask her why she is still standing
She'll tell you it makes her complete

I stand for hope
I stand to feel
I stand for the truth
For all that is real
I stand for your father, your brother, your wife
I stand for you and me, my friend
I stand for life

It's a blur since they told me about it
How the darkness had taken its toll
And they cut into my skin and they cut into my body
But they will never get a piece of my soul
And now I'm still learning the lesson
To awake when I hear the call
And if you ask me why I am still standing
I'll tell you I stand for us all

(chorus)

And someday if they tell you about it
If the darkness knocks on your door
Remember us, remember me
We will be standing as we have before
standing for answers
standing for more

(chorus)

Comments:

Amanda: said...
Michelle - the video of our news story is up. I posted the link on my blog.

Loved Melissa's song at the end of SU2C... Thought it was great!!!
September 7, 2008 at 10:56 AM

I wish I knew about the broadcast bec I didn't watch. I do know the song from the commercials though and those ads always moved me back then when I didn't know a soul (directly) who had cancer - I think the ads launched 2 years ago bec I haven't seen them in a while and they used to play all the time when I was on maternity. Hormones and all back then, it would make me tear up, but I know those will simply make me bawl now so hmm... maybe it was a good thing I missed the broadcast :)
September 8, 2008 at 12:51 PM


No comments:

Post a Comment