Friday, March 13, 2009

MARCH 13, 2009



Did you know I am a New Yorker, born and bred? Not New York City, but upstate NY. Syracuse, to be exact. I was raised on Syracuse University sports - basketball and football mainly. I remember going to games with my Uncle Artie when I was a kid - it was an amazing experience to go to a game with him, since he seemed to know each and every person in the Carrier Dome. :-) I remember going to the SU/Miami game, and when it was clear before half-time that SU was going to whomp, stomp, then crush Miami, rooting for Syracuse and being SO PROUD to be an SU fan. (In my defense, I am still an SU fan through the bad times, too - see their most recent football stats...)

My first year in MN, I watched the SU basketball team win the NCAA tourney, against all odds. It was an exhilarating experience, and slightly sad, b/c I wasn't able to be IN Syracuse to celebrate with the city and the team. I was sitting in our apartment, alone with Julia because Levi was working, trying not to scream and shout and yell and holler and jump up and down in jubilant celebration. What was nice about that was when my parents came in a couple of days later, they brought me "Syracuse - NCAA champions" tee shirts, which I still have. LOL!

So, this month is March Madness, one of my favorite times of the year. I love the upsets, I love hearing the stories, especially if there's a Cinderella team, and I LOVE seeing how far SU can go, in spite of the critics telling them they shouldn't even be playing. 

Right now, the Big East tourney is underway. SU has taken this crown several times, and it would be a wonderful treat to have them do it this year as well. They got a buy (or is it bye) the first round, then beat (I think) West Virginia. Last night, they played UConn, a rival. And, while UConn came in as a 3rd seed, SU went into the game as #18. 

http://www.fannation.com/si_blogs/tourney/posts/56861-the-neverending-game?bcnn=yes

Check this out - long story short - SU won in 6 overtimes. Yes, you read that right. SIX. Not five, not seven.....six overtimes.

I love this team. My blood definitely runs orange. All the time, all the way. GO SYRACUSE!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment