Saturday, March 7, 2009

MARCH 7, 2009


I had an opportunity to speak yesterday at a luncheon called a "Friend-Raiser" at The Wellness Community. What an honor - this event was a way to tell about 30 women who TWC is, what they do for patients, and what services are available. I was asked to speak to give them a patient's view on how TWC has helped me, and continues to help me, get through this battle. This was an amazing event, and I am so proud to have taken part.

While I was there, I was given yet another amazing gift. Back in August, I was asked my TWC to be in a photo shoot that was to be used for an upcoming fundraising event. The book that they released is called "Voices of Hope", and is a spiral bound, classic collection of stories of survivors, patients and caregivers. There are about a dozen of us featured, and on each open page, there is a picture of the person featured, a formal blurb about TWC, and a "daily journal" entry from the featured person. In my case, they had me write what TWC provides to me, and what hope means. When I was writing this, and when the pictures were taken, I was right in the midst of chemo. It was August or September, and I was really in the depth of everything. I remember that writing one entry wasn't possible for me - I am a pretty vocal person, and I had many different views of what hope meant, of what TWC meant to me.

They took my ideas, and combined them into a wonderful journal entry. The best part of this book - my kids and I are the first entry. How cool is that?!?! We lead off this book. So, you open the book, and there's a picture of TWC house, which is a house that was built in 1908. On the next pages, on the left is a picture of the kids and I, laughing and smiling. As I remember it, Kevin was being pretty pain-in-the-butt-ish, and I had to tickle him to get him to sit still and smile. The result - a very informal picture of the kids and I, loving each other and having a wonderful time. (I am pretty bummed that Levi wasn't here with us - he was travelling for work at the time.) The journal entry reads as follows:

"My six-year old Julia and two-year old Kevin are my reason for living. They help me fight when I edon't think I can go on. There are weeks when the only thing that gives me a sense of hope is my support group. I NEED to be with other cancer patients, if only to know that I am not alone."

Following us are more patients, caregivers, etc., their journal entries and gorgeous pictures. It's a heart-wrenching book, and the pride I feel in being a part of this cannot be captured in words. TWC will be using this book as a way to try to persuade businesses to provide funding to their organization. They also used our picture on the invitation for yesterday's luncheon. What an honor.

I am so blessed to be involved with so many wonderful, amazing, giving people. While I wouldn't wish cancer on anyone, I can only hope that others have the kind of life-changing experience that I have had. I can only wish that others can feel the same kind of fulfillment and purpose in their lives. Being involved with TWC, with the Colon Cancer Alliance (our Central AZ chapter application has been submitted....), with I'm Too Young For This (an org that supports young cancer patients.....I am working with their CA chapter to try to establish a local group in Phoenix....)......I am just so damned blessed. It's an amazing life I live. Really - how in the hell did I get so lucky to have these amazing things happen to me? It makes me feel guilty - there are other wonderful people that suffer from atrocities such as cancer, illness, etc., that have wonderful traits that they can give the world. Why aren't they given a second chance at life, to be able to provide for the human race? Why is it me that was chosen?

These are questions I ponder everyday. These are some of the things that go through my mind. I recently learned of a school friend whose brother passed away from colon cancer. At age 34. He left behind his wife (a high-school acquaintance of mine) and his 4-year-old daughter. All because some doctor didn't think that his family history of colon cancer was enough of a reason to have a colonoscopy, in spite of ten years of pain and suffering. Why was I given the chance to live, to survive, when Dan had to lose his battle with this beast? Why does his daughter have to grow up not knowing her Daddy? It just seems so unfair to me that his doctor didn't do this simple test, which might have saved Dan's life. It pisses me off so much, and yet bothers me on a personal level that I live while he doesn't. Why me? What do I have that needs to be shared with others?

Interesting thoughts for a Saturday morning, eh?

Comments:

Matthew Zachary said...
We're here for you. Thanks for the mention and we are very excited to have you on our team working with Sarah to get Phoenix off the ground. Stupid Cancer! Matthew Zachary
March 7, 2009 at 6:30 PM
Blogger Carol Urban said...
I'm crying reading this. Crying burns. Still some effects left from the Oxalyplatin(sp?).

Such an amazing write up on the speaking engagement. I am so proud of you! If you have the gift of public speaking I say go with it!

We have to be our own advocates when it comes to dealing with doctors. Mine wanted me to wait until I was 50 for a colonoscopy. I told him I'd be dead by then. After the colon cancer surgery he came in to apologize to me. I doubt he'd ever make the same mistake again with another patient.

Keep up the good work girl! You are such a blessing to the rest of us.
March 8, 2009 at 2:32 PM


No comments:

Post a Comment