Wednesday, April 15, 2009

APRIL 15, 2009


I was listening to NPR last night on the way home (yes, I am a National Public Radio geek - so sue me!), and they had a series asking people about their idea of what is being deemed the "new normal." They were, of course, referring to this new normalcy that has descended upon the nation (and the world) as a result of the financial meltdown. 

My first thought was, if only these people had to live with MY version of the new normal. Not that I am downplaying the severity of what the world is going through, but if you're version of the new normal means that you had to give up your Starbucks iced latte in the morning, I have little pity for you. I understand that others have had to readjust their lives to deal with a loss of wages, loss of housing, etc., but the discussion inevitably made me think of MY new normal. 

I have spoken about this before on this blog (unless my mind is remembering things that didn't happen). It made me wonder what people would say if we were to have a conversation about a true, new normal. And, what that means to everyone.

I am interested to hear others' ideas about this. What does this term mean to you? What caused you to realize that you had a new normal in your life?

Comments:

Tina said...
oh, Michelle, I am laughing right now! I know your subject was serious,so forgive me--but when you say "new normal" I have to think of what my surgeon said to me after removing a large part of my colon. It could take 6 months to get to my "new normal" (meaning bowel movements!!). Again, I'm sorry! But I thought you'd maybe understand the humor I saw in that. Or am I just hopeless?
Have a great day!
Tina
April 16, 2009 at 2:12 PM
Blogger Dennis Pyritz, RN said...
Michelle, You are right. When you have cancer, you get a 'new normal' along with it. Everything in your life becomes colored by this new unwelcome reality. As a leukemia survivor of 7 years, I can tell you that this new normal does not go away although it does undergo change along with the rest of your life. The cancer, in some shape or form, will always be with you. And as you have probably already discovered, this new normal does also carry with it a few blessings, however unbidden. I enjoyed some of your insights. I just started my own blog. www.beingcancer.net. Please stop by sometime. Dennis
April 19, 2009 at 9:48 AM

No comments:

Post a Comment