Sunday, April 19, 2009

APRIL 19, 2009


Last night, I attended my first Colon Cancer Alliance event as a member of the Board for the Central Arizona Chapter. And, the only word I can use to describe it is, wow.

We were invited to attended the Crohn's and Colitis Foundation of America's Take Steps walk to raise money for their foundation. (
Here is their website.) It was awesome - held at the University of Phoenix stadium, they had 1500 people attend and take part. We had a booth there that allowed us to display all our wares (CCA info, info about the upcoming Undy, etc.), and allowed us to get information out to hundreds of people. Honestly, we probably spoke to several hundred people. We even had 30+ people sign up for our upcoming events newsletter! So exciting!

The big hit of the night? Remember, in February, I posted pictures of the awesome quilt my aunt made for me? Well, we hung it up last night, and, Aunt Nancy - your ingenious quilt was honestly the biggest draw of anything (well, not as big as the bouncy houses for the kids) all night long. It drew people to us, asking about where/how/why it was made, and it allowed me to tell people my story, and to invite them to sign up for our events newsletter. So exciting. They loved the quilt, and I actually had people ask to have their pictures taken by it. Brilliant. So, Aunt Nancy, you definitely came up with an idea that is going to help me change the world, one pair of panties at a time. Awesome! I can't wait to send you pictures next week. I am hoping to get some this week.

Overall, the night was a complete success. I feel like, by being there and telling people my story, it made them realize that colon cancer DOES happen to other people, and that it's important to get tested. I met so many inspiring people - I hadn't really done any research about Crohn's or UC, and now, I will be making sure that I understand the basics of these diseases. People with Crohn's and UC have a tough road ahead of them, but they were all happy, healthy, and excited to be there last night. THAT'S the kind of response I want to have for our events, and with the networking I did last night (and with the wonderful people I met), I know that our organizations will be able to make HUGE strides in the fight against these things.

My spirit is so filled today. I am so excited about the potential we have here in Phoenix. Next week - Women's Expo. If you are interested or will be there, PLEASE let me know, and I will look forward to seeing you there.
Here's some information about the upcoming Women's Expo. Very exciting.

And, yes, the quilt will be there. Believe me, I won't be attending any CCA events without it. Ever. :-)

Comments:

Tina said...
Thanks for speaking out, sharing your story and time!!
April 19, 2009 at 1:03 PM
Blogger Nancy said...
I will never find the words to tell you how it makes me feel and how proud I am for being a part of your life and the fight against cancer.I may not be there in person but am there in heart.You hang that quilt high and proud.You deserve to sweetie.thank you for making me feel so.......well.....wow....love always
April 19, 2009 at 7:32 PM
Blogger Amanda: said...
That's way awesome! Events like that are so therapeutic! Not to mention they could be a life saver for someone else.
April 20, 2009 at 8:47 AM
Blogger Carol Urban said...
Way to go!
April 20, 2009 at 10:11 AM

No comments:

Post a Comment