Friday, June 6, 2008

JUNE 6, 2008


Got the port installed yesterday. While things didn't go as quickly or as painlessly as they were originally intended, it's in and done. For now.

We got to the hospital and used the FREE valet parking (after all, that's the only time I am going to use valet parking...), then got to registration. Shockingly, there was a mix-up with the insurance and they wanted me to pay $500+ for this procedure. Um, no! Anyways, after me raising my voice a bit (remember, I hadn't really had much to eat in two days b/c of the stomach bug), we agreed to let the insurance company sort out the billing, and away we go.

Off to pre-op, where they had to contact a dr to discuss whether they could proceed with the port placement b/c I had been on Lovamax (a rx blood thinner injection) and Advil. Holy cow. After much waiting, they okay'd the procedure, and stick me with the IV. Really, I think that's the part I most dislike about surgeries. After all, you wouldn't generally have surgery unless it's necessary, so I get that you have to suffer at the end. But, the IV? I know, Dad and Mom are laughing at me right now, but they sting! Anywhoo, they get that put in, and they wheel us over to the "Special Procedures" area. I had to laugh - they sent me to the "special" room? Okay, sorry. Ahem.

Anyways, the dr comes over the explain to me what he is putting into me, how the procedure works, etc. The nurse comes over to introduce himself, and to tell me that he is going to be my best friend 'cuz he has all the drugs. Woo! This nurse was funny - he told me that I was on an adventure, and that I should put that in the blog. So, nurse-I-can't-remember-your-name from Good Samaritan Hospital in Phoenix, this one's for you!!! They then wheel me into the OR, and I get to see the ever-scary equipment in that room. And, how cold does one OR need to be? I swear, each time they took us (mom and I) into another section of the hospital, it got more and more cold. It was like a fridge. They move my chic hospital gown down to expose my right shoulder, and the one nurse starts washing me with this soap that was pretty cold. Then, she uses another one, that stained my skin blue. Hmmmm.....

The male adventure nurse started administering the drugs, but apparently I was either too hyped up or too cold or too somethin, but they had to use more than the expected amount of drugs to knock me out. (Perhaps it was the other two procedures that knocked me out over the past two weeks?!?!) Anyways, finally, I am off in la-la land, and they get this thing put it.

Basically, it's a small contraption, about the size of a half dollar (maybe not even that big) and about 3/4 of an inch think. There is a catheter attached that they put right into my jugular (yes, that one.....oh, you smart CSI fans!), and the unit sits just under my skin. It's still pretty sore today, and since they won't allow me to take Advil until 24 hours after procedure b/c of the blood thinning properties, I am forced to take Tylenol, which doesn't touch this pain. It's not painful in the sense that I am writhing in pain - it's more of a dull ache, and an uncomfortableness. It's tight, and I am still getting used to the feeling that something foreign is in my body. They say as I get more and more used to it, and as my body gets used to it, these sensations will go away. We'll see. :-)

They only had to use two small incisions to get this thing in, and they used a medical-grade Crazy Glue to seal me up, so that shouldn't be too bad. It's just the oddest feeling, having this thing inside of me. I can actually feel it moving as I move, and I can feel the catheter from the outside. Strange.

Well, that's about it. Once I came out of the drug-induced nap yesterday, I ate a bit, then headed home with Mom. We picked up the kids, and got dinner at the house. Pizza - yum! Do y'all have Papa Murphy's? It's a take-and-bake pizza place - not the best NY style pizza around, but it kicks Papa John's and Dominoe's ass any day of the week for pizza taste.

Shortly after dinner, I took a half of a percocet pill and promptly fell into a deep sleep, waking only to take the other half at about 1:30 this morning.

Waking up this morning, the bruising has gone from bright purple to reddish, so I am not sure if that's normal. But, I feel a little better about this thing, and I figure I will continue to have that happen as time wears on.

No medical procedures that I know of anytime soon. I know I have the genetic testing coming up, and all I keep thinking is PLEASE don't let them put eating restrictions on me. LOL! It was so nice to eat breakfast this morning without having to worry about what I could and couldn't eat. I don't even have restrictions for the chemo. Woo!

I think that's about it. Mom has to work today, and we have the kids home with us (the 35 mile trip to daycare and back again daily is killing us), and we have some things to do tonight. We are going to head to Costco, and I am going to get a little scooter I think. I don't think I can handle all of that walking yet. However, I think I am going to put a sign on my back that says "I JUST HAD SURGERY - WHAT'S YOUR EXCUSE?!?!?!" Clever, right?

Comments:
Nancy said...
Hold steady sweetie...it will get over and you are going to win this.You are already giving your self the best thing you can ...laughter.You need to keep that always..it might get hard at times but tell your self that it is out of you body and now you are putting up a brick wall to hold it out.and you have a wonderful playing team behind you...our Heavenly Father and family and friends.YOU are never alone.God Bless You and the Family:)we love you aunt nancy and all
June 7, 2008 at 4:39 AM
Blogger Nancy said...
Michelle, every time i find something that really sticks out i put it on a post it...here is one for you......God had not given us a spirit of fear,but of power and of love and of a sound mind....I love you all sweetie, love aunt nancy
June 7, 2008 at 7:16 AM
Blogger Michelle said...

Good description of the Port. My mother called it her bottle cap. She also had that foxy chemo, but that was three years ago. They told her the side effects were different on everyone. Not everyone loses hair with it, but she did. She referred to the "fanny pack" as her little friend. It seems to "breathe" on its own. (Think pump) She had flu like symptoms that weren't as bad during the chemo and worse the next week. But as they said, everyone is different.

You will prevail!
June 7, 2008 at 7:40 AM

No comments:

Post a Comment