Tuesday, June 3, 2008

JUNE 3, 2008


We had my follow-up appointment with Dr. McConnell this morning. Unfortunately, Mom wasn't feeling well - we think she had a tummy bug that Levi had yesterday, and Kevin had over the weekend. With the stress she has been under, it seems to have hit her harder than it did the others. She is sleeping now.

Anyways, we went into the drs appt. She confirmed that the 5 lymph nodes were cancerous, and that I have a T-3 lesion, N2MX Tumor. I don't know what that means, other than that it is cancer, and I have to fight it. It's still curable, though. And, when she looked at my incisions, she declared that all are healing well, and that I am ready for chemo. While I am not sure that is necessarily good news, she wants to kick this thing NOW. I am going to meet with Dr. Ondreyco tomorrow, and Dr. McConnell's (my surgeon) office is going to set me up for an appt to get a port put in.

So, a lesson - apparently, in my reading, there are several ways they can administer chemo. They can put a permanent catheter in you, and you can get the drugs that way - basically, it's a permanent IV. More applicable for those who need constant chemo. You can also get oral chemo and topical chemo (who knew they had chemo cream!?!?). Anyways, they method of choice for me is to insert a small device just under my skin, at the top of my torso, basically at the soft spot of your shoulder joint where your shoulder starts and your torso begins. Kind of that soft spot right there? Does that make sense? Let me see if I can find a picture...

http://www.breastcancer.org/pictures/treatment/chemo_port.jsp - If you click on this website, you can see a picture of a port. (Careful, it's a breast cancer website, and there are breasts in the picture. No yelling at me if your kid see!)

Anyways, that's how they will administer the meds. Dr. McConnell seems to feel that the chemo will be fairly benign (her words), and my worst side effects, barring any adverse allergies, are flu-like symptoms and hair loss. Well, that doesn't seem so bad. We'll see what Dr. O says tomorrow, but that's what I am going with. She even said that I should be able to return to work (no time given yet) and that most people don't need to take time off of work for recovery. Sweet! We'll see, but there you go.

We will know more tomorrow. Mom is sleeping off her tummy bug, I am in another room hoping that I don't catch it (really, do I need anything else at this point?!? :-) ), and I am going to listen to my missed class from Wednesday, and hopefully be able to finish up my make-up paper and essay by today's end. Argh. So much to do, but that's a Mom's job, isn't it?

Catch you all soon! Keep praying - it's working!!!

Comments:
Uh-oh, Mom down, Mom down!!! I guess it wasn't the pork, huh? :) Tell Mom to take it easy and I hope she feels better today. You should both get two nice tubs of ice cream (while you can still properly enjoy it!), stick for feet up in bed and watch some pointless tv! :) In separate rooms bec yes... catching this would be the last thing you need!

Thanks for the update. It all sounds very technical, but at least everyone is sounding optimistic and I'm thankful for that! I'll try and call Thurs or Fri and see how things are.

Love ya!
June 4, 2008 at 7:47 AM

Later that evening:


Just got off the phone with the drs office - they have my port placement scheduled for Thursday mid-day. I am not looking forward to this, but can it be any worse than anything else I have been through so far? I think not. It's outpatient - the worse thing will be that I can't eat for 6 hours before the procedure. Really, I needed to lose weight, but I would have rather joined Jenny Craig or Weight Watchers than go through this. :-) All of these procedures, and all of these "No Eating for x hours before this...." - is this really necessary. Well, Ashley, I guess we can plan to order a smaller-than-expected dress for me for yours and Bob's wedding. LOL!

Always looking for the silver lining - isn't that the way to live life?


Comments:
Nancy said...
look at the bright side...My brother in law had the port put in,he said after a few days it doesn't bother you much and he doesnt even think of it after all his treatments are over.the hair loss...he had but girl,his hair came back a lot better than he had before the treatment.i know it sounds hard...watching him he had more good days then bad..just never be afraid top ask for help and guidence from our Heavenly Father.He will get you through this sweetie.all our love,family from texas:) xxxoooxxx
June 3, 2008 at 5:43 PM
Blogger Michelle said...
And the other good news is that it should be easier to keep the weight you lose off because your body now has about a foot less time to absorb the calories!

Michelle Wemhoner
June 4, 2008 at 5:41 AM
OpenID mrsjenbuck said...
we will both be thinking of you and sending you power prayers and wishes from Michigan!
Our small group prayed over you and levi, julia, and kevin... and of course, your family.
We love you!!!
Jennifer & Kevin
June 4, 2008 at 5:08 PM
Blogger Ally said...
Hey girl...checking in and I am so glad you are hanging tough, I knew you would!
Many hugs and prayers for you on this...you can do it!
So glad your parents are there to help and you will get through it!!
xoxo
June 4, 2008 at 9:12 PM
Blogger theYellowDart said...
Hello Michelle. Really missed seeing meeting you while i visited Honeywell DV. You have a wonderful attitude that we can all learn from. Here is another blog that you might find interesting http://www.npr.org/blogs/mycancer/

there are some humerous and insightful podcasts available there as well.

Warm regards, Gomez.
June 6, 2008 at 9:16 PM

No comments:

Post a Comment