Friday, June 27, 2008

JUNE 27, 2008

Genetics Appt

As mentioned, we headed to the consult for the genetics testing yesterday afternoon. First, what a gorgeous campus they have there in Scottsdale. I think I may return to the cancer center just for some support. It's this beautiful, modern facility that truly made me feel like crying when I walked in, not b/c of fear or concern but because I felt this overwhelming sense of calm and support. It was amazing. I can't wait to head to the Wellness Center in Phoenix, to see if I get the same feeling.

Anyway, I will go back to that in a moment. Genetics - so, I was registered and take up to meet the lady that did our consult. She is a genetics doctor, and spent about an hour explaining how colon cancer can be passed down through the genes, and even went so far as to name the chromosomes and proteins that would affect the cells (thank goodness I paid attention in chemistry and biology in high school - I was actually able to follow and understand her!). Basically, there are 5 known chromosomes that can be mutated in a way that could predetermine that person to get colon cancer, particularly at an early age.

Here's some other information - 60% of colon cancer cases are of unknown origin, meaning that there isn't a family history and no given reason for a person to get the cancer. Basically, for those people, it comes down to luck and what environmental conditions they have exposed themselves to over the course of their life (usually, this occurs after age 55), and how their body reacts to those conditions. Another 30% (these percentages are all approximate) of colon cancer patients have some form of family history of colon cancer (or uterine/endometrial cancer, as they are closely related). The other 10% of patients have a genetic mutation that doesn't show up in the family until they get it, meaning they are the first. Lucky them.

After the doctor went through explaining the laymen version of the specifics of how genetics could potentially affect a family's cancer diagnoses, she went through our family history. Luckily, both my Mom and Dad were there for this, and were able to help clarify some of the information. Basically, the results from that indicate that there is no known history in my family whatsoever of colon cancer. And, while there are cases of cancer on both sides of the family, there are no repeats of those cancers (i.e. no repeats of breast cancer in women on the same family tree), which also bodes well. There is also a good history of family longevity (both sides averaged into their 70s), which again, is good news.

So, we spoke with the doctor about what this means. She seems to feel that there will not be a genetic predisposition shown in the cancer, meaning that I am just a freak of nature. (Really, didn't we already know that?!?!?!) What they are going to do to determine the lack of genetic predisposition is to test a sample of the tumor they removed from my colon.

Okay, side note here. Did you know that when they remove anything from your body, they (meaning the drs and hospitals) are required by law to keep a sample of said, well, tissue on file for at least 5 years?!?! Here's my image: I picture a storage room of sorts, lined up with racks and racks of cryogenically-maintained body parts, tumors, blood samples, etc. And, when they need it, they call up the storage people (I am using personal experience with off-site storage companies here) and have them ship on over the sample of your body. EWWW!

All right - ahem. Sorry. So, they will request a sample of my tumor, and they will be able to test the sample for the protein that would indicate to them whether or not the genetic codes are altered. Basically, your genes produce protein in your cells, allowing the cells to heal themselves against the attack of the things we send into them each moment. If the genes are altered genetically (i.e. you inherit this damaged gene from dear old mom or dad), then your body won't be able to produce the correct protein to fix your cell, thus allowing the damaged cell to reproduce, forming a tumor that has a higher likelihood of becoming cancerous. The test they are going to run on my tumor will allow them to see if this protein is or isn't being produced. If it is, then they can determine from that point that this is not a genetic cancer, and that I am truly just a freak of nature who beat the odds and needs to be written up in the medical journals. (All right, I made that last part about being in medical journals up.) If they can determine that the protein isn't being produced as it should be, then they will pull blood (damn vampires) and test the known genes for this alteration.

Having said all of that, the doctor seems to feel that there is a low probability that this is a genetic cancer. Which means, as I said, that I am just a freak of nature.

I am thinking of using that as my tattoo design. FREAK OF NATURE. I really think it's appropriate. I mean, I know it was even before this, but now I will be able to say, truly, that I am medically a freak. How cool!!! I mean, how many people can lay claim to that? Dad said yesterday that he could have told me this without having to go through all of this. LOL!


Later:


Oh, in the last post I mentioned the Wellness Center. I don't know a whole lot about it, but if you are reading this in another city and find yourself facing cancer, either personally of as a caregiver of loved one of someone facing cancer, I recommend that you look into it. It's a non-profit organization providing support services to cancer patients, their caregivers, and their families. They have classes to teach patients about eating right during chemo, how to handle the stresses of the diagnosis and treatments, support groups for different cancers and age groups, yoga classes, beauty classes, etc. I am going to try to head there on Monday (it's a hike from our house), but I am hopeful to find the same kind of peace and serenity that I found at the Virginia Piper Cancer Center in Scottsdale.


Later:


I was playing on the blog tonight and decided to make a template change. In doing so, I found out that I could add a subscription page, which I believe send you an email if/when I post something new. (Oh, smart brothers o' mine, thoughts here?!?!)

I can also add a poll for all of you to answer. Mwa-ha-ha - who knew there would be homework when you read my blog! What can I come up with to ask my unsuspecting readers....hmmmm. Oh, and I updated my profile. Since this website is read by (as I am finding out) more people than I expected, I figured that I would update my information. I had to think about some of the questions. My favorite movie? See, I don't watch movies, generally. I have kids. My movies consist of mostly animated movies, of the Disney variety usually (they are mine, after all), although tonight I had to put the Bob the Builder DVD up and away from Kevin's reach after we watched it twice, in a row. I really had to think back on what movies I enjoy watching, then it dawned on me - duh! Mel Brooks. Who doesn't love a good Mel Brooks film?

(See, this is what happens when I have time on my hands.....)

Comments:
Nancy said...
hi sweetie..sorry it has taken me so long to write....vbs this last weekend and then been having trouble trying to write you .I had to use a different e mail address.Well i heard you are about to start your next treatment.Hang tight you are going to make it .You are so strong ..I believe that God has plans for you honey,because you are so strong.He will be with you the whole way.Satan can try his best but you are strong and God is stronger.You are going to do well.I am so proud of you and your will to fight this nasty stuff.I send my love and will talk later......God Bless ya'll
June 30, 2008 at 7:35 PM


No comments:

Post a Comment