Thursday, June 12, 2008

JUNE 12, 2008


Chemo Update

All right my blogger family, are you ready for an influx of information? Neither was I this morning. I feel like Mom and I got about 6 years of medical training in a 60 minute session. Whew....here's the highlights.

As I said, the chemo regiment is Folfox, which, as Tom my love said (Tom, have I told you lately that I love you? Sorry - bad Rod Stewart song.....I don't like Rod Stewart.....anyways, I digress....ahem), is top of the line for my cancer type. Sweet. Today's meeting with the nurse was to review the meds, what they are, what they do to me (side effects), and where I will be receiving treatment. We went into the office with the nurse, and she started going over the meds. Now, I will tell you that I know I only absorbed about 1/3 of what she said. I was trying to pay attention, trying to wirte down the important things, and trying to stop my head from spinning.

I will have three days of chemo, at this point. The first day with be about three hours - the first half-hour is taking blood, getting the port in order, and getting readings of my CBC (which I didn't know until today stood for Complete Blood Count, meaning white blood cells, red blood cells, and platelets). After that's done, they spend 30 minutes pumping me with an injection of a nausea prevention medication (thank you very much). Then, the next two hours they pump me full of drugs to kill these bastard cancer cells. Once that's over, the hook up the pump (I need to come up with a funky, fun name for this thing). It's not a large unit - only about 6"x4"x1.5", and is worn in a small black case (think small camera case) with a strap allowing you to wear this fashionable statement on your shoulder, as a waist belt pack, or slung around your torso sideways, like a cool college kid. Anywhoo, I need to wear this pump for the next 24 hours, until I go back for day 2. I go back into the office, they unhook the pump and start the IV again (all through my port) with drugs, then once that 2 hour session is over, they hook me back up to the pump for another round of take-home drugs. Then, on the third day, I only have to go back into the office to allow them to remove the pump.

Now, some of the more astute of you might ask, what happened to the fourth day that you mentioned in previous posts. (If you don't remember this, you are a bad reader, and I shun you. Just kidding. Sort of.) Well, the fourth day previously mentioned was dedicated to receiving a shot of white blood cell count booster. Apparently, this isn't part of my "dedicated" regiment until it becomes necessary. And, I hope it doesn't. The side effects are BONE PAIN (not muscle pain, but BONE pain) b/c the shot actually stimulates your blood marrow production, meaning that your body is doing something that wasn't on it's plan for that day. Hmph - think pissed off, overworked, underpaid bone marrow maker meets demanding, unrelenting boss, and think how that would feel. In your bones. Yuck.

So, that's the regiment. The nurse went over the side effects. I was expecting the usual suspects: nausea (which I have 1 IV med and 4 RX meds to tackle), vomiting, fatigue, hair loss (which she said will be more like thinning, so I am still glad I made the decision),neuropathy, mouth sores, changes in bowel habits, etc. However, there was one significant addition to the suspect list that I had no clue about: extreme sensitivity to cold. Not cold weather. Cold, period. The advice they give you? Don't drink anything cold. Room temp or warmer. When you get something from the fridge or freezer, wear gloves. (And, my first question - it's June, in Arizona. Where am I going to get gloves?) Plan ahead, and bring extra clothing for trips out. Wear a face mask if you are planning to go someplace cold, like the refrigerated section of the grocery store. (I swear to God, I am not kidding you at all!) If I don't adhere to these rules, I could have spasms in my throat as a result of the cold, and the fix for that - drink something hot. While she was saying this, all I kept thinking was, thank goodness I live in AZ and it's summer. Apparently, this lovely side effect should kick in Day 1, and last the entire three days of the chemo, going away as time wears on. However, with all of the drugs, they have a cumulative effect, so as I go on in treatment, the effects will get worse. Fun.

I think those are the highlights. After that discussion, the nurse took Mom and I to see the chemo room. It was exactly as I saw it on Tuesday, but this time, I was able to see more of it. It was actually a relaxing place. The people in there receiving treatment were warm and inviting, and seemed to genuinely want to help a "newbie". Three ladies showed me their ports and how they are accessed, so that was nice to see. And, another suggested that I just take it day by day and see what comes next.

Hmmmmm - I feel like I couldn't have covered the entire 90 minute total session here, but there you go. I was able to get paperwork from them to help ith my appeal from the university regarding my financial aid and withdrawal from class this session. I was also able to get a handicapped parking sticker (I only plan on using this when necessary, but anything helps), which I pick up on Tuesday.

So, as I said, I start chemo Tuesday morning. I am a bit nervous - it's this big looming thing that I can't avoid, and I have to face. At this point, I think it's the unknown that's bothering me more than anything. You know - let's get it started so I can deal with it. And, get it over.

I plotted out the sessions. Get this - if all goes well, and we are able to stay on track for everything, my last treatment will be.....drumroll.....the week before Thanksgiving. Are you kidding me? Again - things happen in mysterious ways.

Well, that's all for now. Tomorrow, the kids are staying home with Mom and me. I don't know what we will do, but we will figure it out then. I have some paperwork to finish and submit, and I am still pretty pooped from this week. Saturday, Levi and I have a date planned, after we drive out to Tempe to pick up Dad's chair. Oh - speaking of furniture, Mom and I hit this used furniture store today looking for stuff for her and Dad. Mom got a Broyhill solid wood cherry-colored headboard, 5-drawer dresser, chest of drawers, and nightstand with matching mirror for ......... $299. They are being delivered on Saturday morning. This place was cool as hell. It was awesome - they have everything from antiques to brand-new labeled items, and everything in between. They are a family run store, 4th generation now working there. SO COOL!

Anywhoo, my ice cream just got here, and it's melting. Priorities, people. I only have 4 days of ice cream left. Gotta run... :-)

Comments:

Mick,

I love your haircut, you pull it off very well, so chic yet so classy, LOVE IT! I just want you to know it pains me not to be able to be there, just to make you laugh, and cry with you if you needed it, (cleansing). I will pray for you as you start chemo, I will ask the Lord for peace, for less side effects and for remission to come quickly. You will beat this, and your voice will be loud and will help others to overcome. I love you, and I am proud of you that you have embraced this dragon, tell Levi I said HI!
Keep the Faith,
Jenn
June 13, 2008 at 5:24 AM

No comments:

Post a Comment